A Great Resource for the Scientifically Minded

• [Deleted User]
    Topic creator
    Joined: 04.12.2016Posts: 0CollectionJohn's CollectionRatings: 0
    SCOTT: I found this on Ganymood, er, Ganymede.
    TOMAR: What is it?
    SCOTT: Well, it's, er. (peers at it, sniffs it) It's green.
    Mathis liked that
  • Mathis Member Mathis Joined: 26.10.2016Posts: 105Ratings: 33
  • [Deleted User] Joined: 26.08.2016Posts: 0CollectionEmpty Bottle ClubRatings: 160
    , edited February 23 2017 at 2:44PM
    Options

@to_e_or_not_to_e

That is a great site. While we are on the subject, I received a very interesting book for Christmas: Shots of Knowledge: The Science of Whiskey. It consists of a number of page-long essays that trace the entire creation of whiskey, from the processes that occur in the plant to produce starch through to the reaction of the finished product on our brains. I would recommend it highly.

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets. (Ron Swanson)
  • [Deleted User]
    Topic creator
    Joined: 04.12.2016Posts: 0CollectionJohn's CollectionRatings: 0
    , edited April 8 2017 at 2:22AM
    Options

Does anyone else here have an education in science? I have an associate degree (two year) in "Chemical Engineering Technology".

Since college, I've been employed as a quality control lab tech in chemical manufacturing and food manufacturing facilities. I guess I could have worked at a Kentucky or Tennessee distillery if had really wanted.

Given that, I find the desire of some whisk(e)y enthusiasts to tour distilleries a bit odd. They're just chemical plants after all (or food plants, depending on how you look at it). It would probably feel too familiar for them to capture my enthusiasm.

Still, the science behind brewing/distilling/aging whisk(e)y fascinates me. Books like the one Carlton pointed out above are right up my alley.

SCOTT: I found this on Ganymood, er, Ganymede.
    TOMAR: What is it?
    SCOTT: Well, it's, er. (peers at it, sniffs it) It's green.
  • [Deleted User] Joined: 26.08.2016Posts: 0CollectionEmpty Bottle ClubRatings: 160
    Options

@to_e_or_not_to_e

Unfortunately, I have a business degree, but science has always interested me more than business. I have dabbled in science as it relates to my interests and hobbies.

• Slàinte_Mhath Guest, Member Slàinte_Mhath Joined: 09.10.2016Posts: 134CollectionOslo Whisky ClubRatings: 211
    Options

Does anyone else here have an education in science? I have an associate degree (two year) in "Chemical Engineering Technology".

I have a diploma degree in biotechnology and brewing. I should probably have opened a distillery rather than working as a microbiologist...

That's what I do. I drink, and I know things.” (Tyrion Lannister)

>>> Whisky reviews by Slàinte Mhath <<<

Options

You would be well-trained to open a distillery, but microbiology is also an interesting subject (much more so than accounting and finance). :smile: