Single Malt Novice accepting Recommendations

• Noodles_2
    Topic creator
    Member Noodles_2
    Joined: 23.03.2017Posts: 41CollectionThe Noodles CollectionRatings: 27
    , edited April 2 2017 at 10:45PM
    Options

@DaFin Thank you for being the first to recommend! We have tried Talisker 10, and though we were worried about the premium cost ($65 compared to $55 for Springbank 10yr), we unanimously approved of this one!

Talisker 10 has the right amount of peat for us. (We have come a long way since our days of being repulsed by Bowmore.) Reviews online had us nervous about the extremity of the peat, but we found it had only a bit more than Springbank 10 and Highland Park 12.
    To the tongue, this was the best tasting Scotch yet. The peat was apparent, but not overwhelming. Due to the strength, it was not as "dangerously sipping" as Sprngbnk10/HP12, but it was very balanced and maybe the best overall. We enjoyed it with Smoked Salmon and Brown Bread as the marketing from Talisker suggested. Good pair.

• hwchoy Member hwchoy Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3
    Options

@Noodles

would you classify this as smokey or medicinal?

• DaFin Member Joined: 23.05.2016Posts: 103CollectionDaFins CollectionRatings: 15
    Options

@Noodles

Ur welcome. 

Let talisker oxidize for some minutes. The medicinal and iodine flavours will become a more pleasant "sea" tasting (seaweed, salt,...). Enjoy. 

When you dominate talisker then you can go to stronger smoky ones like uncollored Adberg or Laphroaig. 

• Noodles_2
    Topic creator
    Member Noodles_2
    Options

@hwchoy Smokey,  in the opinion of myself and one other beside me. We do not find Talisker medicinal, as we found Bowmore.

hwchoy liked that
  • Noodles_2
    Topic creator
    Member Noodles_2
    Options

@Carlton Your mention of Speyburn 10 being so underpriced has influenced us this week!

imageAnd the Talisker was so fantastic, one of us bought a new bottle. (We have been milking Springbank for weeks!)

Speyburn's value at $30 is unsurpassed.

A bit of alcohol taste, but more flavor than any entry level Speyside's we've tasted, e.g., Glenlivet.

[Deleted User] liked that
  • [Deleted User] Joined: 26.08.2016Posts: 0CollectionEmpty Bottle ClubRatings: 160
    Options

@Noodles

Glad you guys enjoyed the Speyburn. Its bang-for-the-buck is hard to beat.

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets. (Ron Swanson)
  • Noodles_2
    Topic creator
    Member Noodles_2
    Options

Ardbeg 10 has made its way into the collection. You may be surprised to learn that none of us found that it was "too peaty." On the contrary, even a guest, who is not accustomed to whisky, found it had a pleasant, and not medicinal, smokey taste.

• hwchoy Member hwchoy Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3
    Options

I'm just curious, how many of you are in the drinking circle? seems to be quaffing quite a bit of alcohol.  do look out for your consumption, as @horst_s said, try to limit yourself to 2 litres alcohol per year.

• [Deleted User] Joined: 26.08.2016Posts: 0CollectionEmpty Bottle ClubRatings: 160
    Options

hwchoy said:

I'm just curious, how many of you are in the drinking circle? seems to be quaffing quite a bit of alcohol.  do look out for your consumption, as @horst_s said, try to limit yourself to 2 litres alcohol per year.

That level of consumption works out to around 6 bottles a year (assuming 45% abv and 750 ml bottle size), and that is if you consumed no other alcoholic beverages. I would consider that a very light level of alcohol consumption, well below the moderate or low-risk levels established by most governments (although these vary widely and are motivated as much by politics as health concerns).

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets. (Ron Swanson)
  • [Deleted User] Joined: 04.12.2016Posts: 0CollectionJohn's CollectionRatings: 0
    , edited April 16 2017 at 3:09PM
    Options

@hwchoy @Carlton

Two liters of pure ethanol per year equates to two drams per week (where a dram is 1.5 ounces of whisky at 43% ABV). I can easily drink twice that amount.

SCOTT: I found this on Ganymood, er, Ganymede.
    TOMAR: What is it?
    SCOTT: Well, it's, er. (peers at it, sniffs it) It's green.