Edradour, the best expression

• bedlamborn
    Topic creator
    Member bedlamborn
    Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21

What are the best expression from Edradour that you have tasted?  A good subject to discuss since Edradour will release five new Straight from the cask soon.

I have just have tasted a few Edradours since they are almost impossible to buy in Sweden. I can only find the 10Yo and 12 yo Caledonia in stores here. All the other expressions I have to taste in pubs. Quite like the Caledonia but the best one for me is the Edraour where it was matured in Burgundy casks. A very good mix between the distillery and the wine influence.

• kroman Member Joined: 16.04.2016Posts: 261Collectionkromans CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

I have just have tasted a few Edradours since they are almost impossible to buy in Sweden. I can only find the 10Yo and 12 yo Caledonia in stores here. 

It's about the same in America as well.  Although, it is relatively easy to find the Signatory Vintage 10 year as well, which is my favorite Edradour.  Considering the age, it tastes much older than it really is.

I took a trip to Lisbon last September, and was able to buy a Marsala Straight From the Cask (SFTC).  It is very different, but quite enjoyable.  There is an overwhelming flavor that I smell and taste, but I have no clue what it is, which is frustrating. 

I can't speak for the rest of the SFTC series, but mine takes water better than any whisky I've had.  Sure, it's 58% ABV, but the more water I add, the better it tastes!

• bedlamborn
    Topic creator
    Member bedlamborn
    Options

@kroman

I would love to try the Marsala finish. Marsala wine has a special taste, almost like Madeira. Could that flavour be a bit burning? Not ashes or smoke but burning?

• [Deleted User] Joined: 26.08.2016Posts: 0CollectionEmpty Bottle ClubRatings: 160
    Options

@bedlamborn

Sadly, I've never tried Edradour. I need to remedy that situation.

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets. (Ron Swanson)
    Mathis liked that
  • Mathis Member Mathis Joined: 26.10.2016Posts: 105Ratings: 33
  • DaFin Member Joined: 23.05.2016Posts: 103CollectionDaFins CollectionRatings: 15
    Options

Hi, 

I only tasted Edradour 10 and 12 Caledonia.  

I liked 10 yo quite a lot and I didn't like 12 because I felt an annoying soapy taste that disgusted me. 

I hope to find the opportunity to taste more complex Edradour expressions. 

• kroman Member Joined: 16.04.2016Posts: 261Collectionkromans CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@bedlamborn

The only "burning"I taste is when I forget to add water!

The official tasting notes say there is is dried apricot on the palate; I think that's what I'm picking up.

bedlamborn liked that
  • bedlamborn
    Topic creator
    Member bedlamborn
    Options

@DaFin

Soapy note, it is not like coconut that you pick up in the taste that you asociate with soap? Will have to tr the Caledonia and the 10yo side by side.

@Mathis and @Carlton

Shame shame shame :lol: They are interesting and fun to try if you see Edradour at a pub.

@kroman

I hope I can pick up one day the Madeira finish. Since I love dried apricots.

• horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

@bedlamborn

I think that the Edradour from the Signatory unchillfiltered series was one of the best I had. Signatory Vintage and Edradour are run by the same entrepreneur.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
  • bedlamborn
    Topic creator
    Member bedlamborn
    Options

@horst_s

Thanks for the recommendation. Unfortunately I can only find that one outside of Sweden. Sweden and the alcohol import laws :frown:

• DaFin Member Joined: 23.05.2016Posts: 103CollectionDaFins CollectionRatings: 15
    Options

@bedlamborn

Next time I'll find again soapy flavour I will try to think in coconut or coconut oil or milk.  Much better experience for sure. 

bedlamborn liked that