Home made blends...

• kroman
    Topic creator
    Joined: 16.04.2016Posts: 261Collectionkromans CollectionRatings: 21

Hey all,

Right now I'm having a "Port Highland":  two parts Port Charlotte, one part Highland Park 12.  Is there anyone else out there who likes to experiment with their collection?

• [Deleted User] Joined: 26.08.2016Posts: 0CollectionEmpty Bottle ClubRatings: 160
    Options

kroman said:

Hey all,

Right now I'm having a "Port Highland":  two parts Port Charlotte, one part Highland Park 12.  Is there anyone else out there who likes to experiment with their collection?

Usually, I have only mixed whiskies when I was trying to make something that I didn't like drinkable. One thing I have been wanting to try is a little Sazerac Rye in some Powers John's Lane. (At one time, some pure pot still Irish whiskeys contained some rye in the mash.)  
    Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets. (Ron Swanson)
  • bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@kroman

I experimented once. Took a cheap blended Statesman which tastes awful and mixed in some Bowmore. The final result tasted even worse :biggrin:

hwchoy liked that
  • kroman
    Topic creator
    Options

@bedlamborn

Couldn't taste worse than surströmming :razz:

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@kroman

Surströmming (fermented herring) smells worse but taste better :biggrin:

• Markscotchcrazed Member Joined: 05.02.2017Posts: 33Ratings: 0
    Options

@bedlamborn

@Carlton@kroman

I've only ever altered my cheaper whiskies. I took a Glenlivet 12 and added Woodfords reserve Bourbon. When the proportions were right (mostly glenlivet) it tasted pretty good and provided some interesting vanilla body for the foretaste. However I was surprised how easy it was to kill the tasty glenlivet finish if you add too much Bourbon. 

The Port Highland sounds a bit tastier, how was it?

Options

@Markscotchcrazed

Some whisky gets killed as they have a very light taste. But some can handle it well such as Bruichladdich which I added a few drops of red wine and I had a very good mix. Like an intense wine finish.

• kroman
    Topic creator
    Options

@Markscotchcrazed

The Port Highland sounds a bit tastier, how was it?

It was good.  I like the Port Charlotte, but it seemed to lack complexity.  It has smoke, fresh hay, and a little fruit, but not much else (in my opinion).  Adding a little Highland Park has a lot of advantages.  It's slightly smokey, so it can hold up to Port Charlotte. It's older and more complex, so it adds depth to the Port Charlotte.  Plus, it has less abv, so adding it to the Port Charlotte reduces the 50% abv a little and mellows it out a little.

The result was a more complex, well-rounded Port Charlotte. 

Of course, I could always do the reverse and add a little Port Charlotte to Highland Park to have a more intense, smokey Highland Park!

• kroman
    Topic creator
    Options

I just poured myself a "Balvindour":  2 parts Balvenie 17yr doublewood, 1 part Edradour 12yr.  I thought it would work, but it was a horrible mistake!  The spice and intensity of the edradour, killed all the delicacy of the balvenie but kept all of the spiciness you get from an older whisky.  The result was a very spicy, intense whiskiy with a mouthwatering, but bitter finish.

With time (25 minutes), it mellowed out a little, but it was still too strong for my liking.  

hwchoy liked that
  • Andyvans Member Andyvans Joined: 26.07.2015Posts: 34CollectionAndyvanss CollectionRatings: 4
    Options

@kroman@kroman

I like adding Glendronach 16 Single Cask to practically any other whisky I drink. I like sherry influence and never get enought of it. The single cask is a real sherry bomb, which makes it perfect for mixing. 

• hwchoy Member hwchoy Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3
    Options

I quite tempted to try mixing my daily drams and see what happens:

equal parts Balvenie DoubleWood 12 and Glenrothes Vintage Reserver 12 years

what do you guys think?