Thoughts about Aberlour 12 Sherry Cask - Traveller Retail

• James_Hathaway
    Topic creator
    Member James_Hathaway
    , edited March 24 2017 at 11:25AM

I am new to scotch whisky and enjoy the Whisky.com videos very much.  They've taught me a lot about the different types of whiskies and how to taste them.  The video tastings/reviews have been especially helpful since they are a guide to discovering my own tasting palate.  I recently bought a couple of bottles on my last trip through Heathrow - one of them was the Aberlour 12 Sherry Cask.  I noticed that Horst did a video of this one in German but only the Double Cask Aberlour 12 in English.  I'm really curious to understand the difference between the tastes of the two 12-year bottles, Sherry Cask and Double Cask, and I think a video review of the Sherry Cask would be interesting as a comparison.  Is it possible for Horst or Ben to do a review of the Aberlour 12 Sherry Cask?  

By the way, the other bottle I bought was The Glenlivet Master Distiller's Reserve, which I like very much.  I tasted some similar flavors that Horst mentioned - pear, orange peal, and almond.  I probably prefer it over the Aberlour, but both are good - at least to a newbie like me.  The Aberlour 12 Sherry Cask had some notes of baked apples with cinnamon with an oaky and spicy finish.  It was also a bit heavier in the mouth than The Glenlivet master Distiller's Reserve.

What about the other users on the forum?  Have you tried the Aberlour 12 Sherry Cask?  What did you think?  If you've tried both Aberlour 12s, how would you say they compare?

Thanks for the trove of content.  I look forward to participating in the forums.  

• horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

Thx. Looks interesting. I have put it to my list.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
    Mathis liked that
  • James_Hathaway
    Topic creator
    Member James_Hathaway
    Options

@horst_s

Thank you, Horst, for creating the video on Aberlour 12 Year Sherry Cask.  Yes, I agree that the spices are strong and the finish long.  To me, it is a great sipping whisky that satisfies, even after the glass is empty, since the ginger and cinnamon tastes linger for several minutes.  I will try the double cask another time to see how the two compare.  I would imagine the double cask would be more complex.  

Thanks again!