Penderyn Whiskies

• [Deleted User]
    Topic creator
    Joined: 26.08.2016Posts: 0CollectionEmpty Bottle ClubRatings: 160
    , edited March 19 2017 at 2:08PM

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets. (Ron Swanson)
  • Slàinte_Mhath Guest, Member Slàinte_Mhath Joined: 09.10.2016Posts: 134CollectionOslo Whisky ClubRatings: 211
    Options

@Carlton

Where is the content of this topic?

That's what I do. I drink, and I know things.” (Tyrion Lannister)

>>> Whisky reviews by Slàinte Mhath <<<

• [Deleted User]
    Topic creator
    , edited March 21 2017 at 2:09AM
    Options

@Carlton

Where is the content of this topic?

Good question! I thought it was there after I posted it. Let's try again...

Does anyone know whether the Penderyn whiskies that Horst reviewed were distilled in one of the Faraday stills or in the distillery's conventional pot stills (or perhaps are a combination of the two distillates)?

I had the Madeira-finished standard bottling (distilled in a Faraday still) a few years ago and thought it was quite good; it was distinctly different from a single malt distilled in conventional pot stills, which I attributed to the higher proof coming off the Faraday still.

It seems that Penderyn might be in danger of losing its house style by using conventional pot stills. Also, unless they show some patience in aging the spirit distilled in conventional pots for longer than they have typically aged the Faraday-distilled spirit, they run the risk of producing just another immature, Scotch-style single malt, and we already have too many of those.

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@Carlton

Penderyn says the following.

However, in 2014 we commissioned a pair of Scottish-style ‘lantern’ stills which allow us to experiment with new whiskies

So the whiskies that Horst tried should be from the Faraday stills since the pot stills has been there less than three years.

• [Deleted User]
    Topic creator
    Options

@bedlamborn

Thanks. It would be interesting to know what they plan for the lantern-style stills in the future.

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@Carlton

Will be interesting a few more years down the road.