Whisky from 1968 - around 200 Euros

• mango44
    Topic creator

Hey. My father is 50 next year and he is quite a whiskey lover beeing in a whiskey club and all. On that occasion i thougt i could buy him a whisky of that year. I was hoping that you could maybe help me out a bit :smile: All i know is it has to be a scottish single malt. Do you have any suggestions ? 

I am a 21 year old student, so i dont have lots of money but i was thinking around 200 euros? Or is it much more? I dont want to buy something that dont taste good for 200. Then i rather pay more. Go easy on my grammar, english isnt my native langue as you might see :wink: 

• Shmotch Member Joined: 29.11.2016Posts: 45Ratings: 0
    Options

@mango44

what a great gift, I hate to burst your bubble but you won't get anything with a 1968 vintage for 200 euros, Horst please tell me I'm wrong...also, it might help if you could tell us the scotches he drinks now, then we can give you the best ideas...don't be disheartened though, for 200 euros you can get your father a very nice bottle!

• [Deleted User] Joined: 26.08.2016Posts: 0CollectionEmpty Bottle ClubRatings: 160
    Options

@mango44

Your idea is excellent, but @Shmotch is right, unfortunately. Do you have the opportunity to check out your father's whiskies to see what he prefers?

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets. (Ron Swanson)
  • mango44
    Topic creator
    Options

Ty for hjelp. I might have to look at his collection, but here is some whiskys he has tastes and reviewed. If you might draw some conclutions from it?

http://yfmwl.no/logg-alfabetisk/

• [Deleted User] Joined: 26.08.2016Posts: 0CollectionEmpty Bottle ClubRatings: 160
    , edited March 13 2017 at 1:31PM
    Options

@mango44

Wow! Did your dad taste all of these, or are these the whiskies tasted by his club?

Ah, I think I see now. In another part of the whisky club's website, I see each whisky with different ratings beside each club member's initials. What are you dad's initials?

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets. (Ron Swanson)
  • Slàinte_Mhath Guest, Member Slàinte_Mhath Joined: 09.10.2016Posts: 134CollectionOslo Whisky ClubRatings: 211
    , edited March 13 2017 at 2:03PM
    Options

@mango44

Not an easy question. I checked your link and it seems that your father tasted/reviewed some hundred malts. I tried to filter what he tested quite often:

Ardbeg

BenRiach

Macallan

Mortlach

Springbank

Mortlach seems to be his favorite as he has tasted/reviewed 32 different bottlings - which is impressive! However, Mortlach is expensive and it is very likely that if you buy a bottle, he already have/had that whisky. Based on the list, your father seems to drink both peated and unpeated malts.

The link/list is Norwegian, so I assume you live in Norway, as I do. Unless you purchase a bottle abroad, you will need to buy it through Vinmonopolet.

Here is what I recommend to make the gift a success:

Avoid 'official bottlings' and look out for independent bottlers. Search vinmonopolet.no for 'Gordon&MacPhail' or 'Cadenhead' - both are generally speaking of good quality. Independent bottlings have the advantage of being limited/rare bottlings and they are usually more interesting to the experienced whisky drinker.

Here are some suggestions of what could be an excellent gift:

Gordon & MacPhail Highland Park Cask Strength 2003

Gordon & MacPhail Rosebank Connoisseurs Choice 1991

Gordon & MacPhail Strathisla 25 YO

Aberlour 25 YO Cadenhead Small Batch Cask Strength

Mortlach 1989 26 YO XOP

Depending on your budget, I'd probably go for the Rosebank (closed distillery, excellent whiskies and none of them tested by your father) or Mortlach (I don't see that 26-year-old bottling in his list).

Lykke til!

Slàinte Mhath

That's what I do. I drink, and I know things.” (Tyrion Lannister)

>>> Whisky reviews by Slàinte Mhath <<<

• mango44
    Topic creator
    Options

@Carlton ;

He goes by Precident or FA :smile:

• mango44
    Topic creator
    , edited March 13 2017 at 2:31PM
    Options

@SlàinteMhath

Thanx for the reply, i will check them out :smile: they have bought two berrels of whisky in isley so i guess he likes that type of  single malt :smile: 

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@mango44

@SlàinteMhathath has several good suggestions.

I could also suggest the following at vinmonopolet.

Balblair Single Malt 1997 Cask No1150 Tasting Room Exclusive
    Berrys' Glengoyne 2000 Cask 1074

Lycka till!

• Slàinte_Mhath Guest, Member Slàinte_Mhath Joined: 09.10.2016Posts: 134CollectionOslo Whisky ClubRatings: 211
    Options

@mango44

If Islay is the preferred origin for your present, check out these bottles:

Cadenhead Bunnahabhain 20 YO Small Batch

Bruichladdich Octomore 10 YO

Caol Ila 1984 30 YO Old & Rare

If you know any of your father's whisky club friends, you could simply ask one of them as they probably know best what he likes most.

Cheers!

That's what I do. I drink, and I know things.” (Tyrion Lannister)

>>> Whisky reviews by Slàinte Mhath <<<

• mango44
    Topic creator
    Options

@SlàinteMhath

Ty for all the help :smile: