Flakes on my whisky

• DaFin
    Topic creator
    Joined: 23.05.2016Posts: 103CollectionDaFins CollectionRatings: 15

Hello community, 

I heard Mr. Luening speaking in one of his last videos about the appearing of flakes inside unchillfiltered whiskies that suffers low temperature and then being stored in a more warm place. 

I bought for Internet a bottle and came with those flakes. I thought that someone was wrong with cork. 

My question is if those flakes will dissappear if I keep the bottle in room temperature for long time?

How many time? 

Thanks. 

• hwchoy Member hwchoy Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3
    Options

@DaFin

I think there is no definite answer as once the compound condenses (or undesolves) from the alcohol, it may not dissolve again even if the whisky go back to room temperature as the pressure and other condition may not be the same.  it you look at the phase diagram for any of the compounds you will see that for a compound to exist in a given phase depends on several factors, not just temperature.

• horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

I can not agree more with what DaFin said.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
  • DaFin
    Topic creator
    Options

Yea, thanks hwchoy for your answer. 

Hwchoy, horst_s, do you think that those flakes will affect smell or taste? I will feel any wierd things moving inside my mouth?

Quite nasty just to think about it :cry:

• [Deleted User] Joined: 26.08.2016Posts: 0CollectionEmpty Bottle ClubRatings: 160
    Options

@DaFin

I wouldn't hesitate to drink the whisky. The only thing affected is its appearance.

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets. (Ron Swanson)
  • DaFin
    Topic creator
    Options

@Carlton great news. Thanks

• Mathis Member Mathis Joined: 26.10.2016Posts: 105Ratings: 33
    Options

@DaFin Agree with all above! I wouldnt bother. Also, you could potentially filter them out, but the oxygen this would result in, in the whisky would most probably have a bigger effect on the taste. 

Enjoy the whisky as is :smile: 

• Noodles_2 Member Noodles_2 Joined: 23.03.2017Posts: 41CollectionThe Noodles CollectionRatings: 27
    Options

My Springbank 10 (not chill filtered) has an intimidating amount of debris, with only about 100ml remaining in the bottle. The debris is sometimes like dust (cloudy), but a lot of the debris looks like short sticks - splinters of wood. I know the bottle is corked, and that the cork is fine, so if this debris can appear from "nothing," I assume it is safe. This is especially true, because alcohol and bacteria do not mix! :wink: