I like smoke not peat

• Shawn_A_Anderson
    Topic creator
    Member Shawn_A_Anderson

In Horst review of Springbank 15 he explains the difference between smoke and peat. Smoke he explained as a clean fire and peat as medicinal and I have found that i like smoke but not peat. I see lost of reviews and most don't differentiate between the two. Can anyone recommend some smokey whiskys to me?  

• Shmotch Member Joined: 29.11.2016Posts: 45Ratings: 0
    , edited March 4 2017 at 9:06PM
    Options

@FUBAR

based on your definition, you probably would not enjoy the southern Islay distilleries of Laphroiag, Ardbeg or Lagavulin...I would give Caol Ila a shot sticking with Islay for the intense smoky bonfire effect, however, your best overall best might be Talisker 10 from Isle of Skye... softly smoky and delicious a great place to start, no medicinal flavor or smell tones at all

• Shawn_A_Anderson
    Topic creator
    Member Shawn_A_Anderson
    Options

@Shmotch

No this was Horst definiton not mine in the Springbank 15 video. Smoke = bonfire or clean fire and Peat = medinical and at the end of this video he say Ardbeg is a bonfire smoke to it. I like smokey whisky, I've had  HP 12/18 Talisker 10, benromach 10, Oban 12. So im look for some more smokey whisky if anyone can help to recommend.

• Shmotch Member Joined: 29.11.2016Posts: 45Ratings: 0
    Options

@FUBAR

I see, then if you really want to step into the mouth of the dragon go straight to Ardbeg Corryvreckan cheers! Say hello to Daenerys Targaryen for me

• Shawn_A_Anderson
    Topic creator
    Member Shawn_A_Anderson
    Options

@Shmotch

I would just like to find some other smokey whisky that is of clean fire or bonfire not medicinal and if Ardbeg Corryvreckan is such then thanks for the recommendation.

• hwchoy Member hwchoy Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3
    Options

@FUBAR

I find Laphroaig to be smoky, it reminds me of the small fire we start with damp leaves to create a smoke fire to fend off mosquitoes when hiking in the rainforest here.

one smoky whisky that I find to be really tasty without being too hardcore is the Glenfiddich Cask Collection, Vintage Cask. However this may be travel retail only. A little expensive but a light smoke overlay on the sweet Glenfiddich below.

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@FUBAR

From my experience with the Islay whiskies. Laphroaig and Lagavulin is for me more peat and medicinal. More bonfiresmoke I would say is Ardbeg, peated Bruichladdich (Port Charlotte), peated Bunnahabhin.

From other places I would say bonfiresmoke has the peated Jura whiskies and Benromach peat smoke.

For myself I prefer the medicinal peat/smoke. Especially when the PPM level gets high.

@hwchoy

Laphroaig is a special whisky. Almost like medicine.

• Shawn_A_Anderson
    Topic creator
    Member Shawn_A_Anderson
    Options

@bedlamborn

Thanks for the help/information, i'll have to give on of these Ardbeg or port char a shot.

• horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

I find it misleading, when people talk about smoke and peat as something different. If you smell at a piece of cut peat you smell no smoke or medicinal notes. You smell close to nothing. If at all a little acidity from the tannic acids of the rotten moss.

Incomplete burning of the peat leads to phenols. And these thousand different types of phenols bring different types of aromas into the whisky. If the peat burt hot, then the result will be more bonfire. If the peat smoldered a lot, then you will have more medicinal notes in the vapors.

Therefore I try not to use the word peaty in my videos.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
  • Shawn_A_Anderson
    Topic creator
    Member Shawn_A_Anderson
    Options

@horst_s

I'd like to try the distilleries that are clean or bonfire smoke, what are some I could try? I enjoy the bonfire smoke just not medinical or meaty notes. Whish distilleries offer this notes?

• hwchoy Member hwchoy Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3
    Options

peated whiskies always reminds me of my army days.  the bonfire ones reminds me of the damp smoky fires in the forest, whereas the phenolic ones reminds me of the medical centres which usually meant I have met with an unfortunate incident :lol: