Glencairn glass

• Mathis Member Mathis Joined: 26.10.2016Posts: 105Ratings: 33
    Options

@Carlton

I gave them to my parents for Christmas. Was around 20€ for 2 glasses, so they lay at a decent price. I prefer the Copita myself, but I thought it to me a wonderfull glass anyways. 

• [Deleted User] Joined: 26.08.2016Posts: 0CollectionEmpty Bottle ClubRatings: 160
    Options

I thought I might post some photos of my different glasses as I work my way through them. Someone might decide that they want to try one for themselves. I am switching to a Riedel Vinum Port Glass for a while (shown below beside Glencairn). It is a typical copita shape but slightly larger.

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets. (Ron Swanson)
  • hwchoy Member hwchoy Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3
    Options

since we are on the subject of glasses, how do you all keep your copitas and glencairns?  right now I have just a few glencarins that can came with Laphroaigs and Macallans. I also bought two blank glencairns which I prefer to use over the ones with logo.  now I am just storing them in their original boxes in an upside down position so I put extract them from the box by the stem rather than smudge the glass. I am thinking of getting a carpenter to make a box with a grid of squares (probably 2 x 3) to house the glencairns, with a nice wooden lid to keep them safe.

would like your ideas on how you safekeep your glasses.

• [Deleted User] Joined: 26.08.2016Posts: 0CollectionEmpty Bottle ClubRatings: 160
    Options

@hwchoy

The glasses that I use are kept in a couple of large desk drawers that have enough flat area for each glass to stand upright. This keeps them protected and free from dust. Duplicate, unused glasses are stored separately in their original packaging.  

After each use I only use warm water and a very soft bottle brush to clean the glass and then dry it with a special microfiber towel made for crystal. If you prefer to air dry, I would suggest rinsing well with distilled water after you have cleaned the glass; otherwise you will have spots when it is dry. Spots can be difficult to remove from crystal and can actually etch its surface if you have very hard water.

hwchoy liked that
  • hwchoy Member hwchoy Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3
    Options

@Carlton

thanks for sharing. water hardness was not a problem in Singapore so I just use a simple facial soap to hand wash and air dry them upside down. now that I am located in southern Vietnam will have to see how the tap water is. but I suspect it is pretty flat as well.

unfortunately I have no drawers that can be used as glass storage. I'm still thinking of that glencairn box :smile:

Carlton said:

@hwchoy

The glasses that I use are kept in a couple of large desk drawers that have enough flat area for each glass to stand upright. This keeps them protected and free from dust. Duplicate, unused glasses are stored separately in their original packaging.  

After each use I only use warm water and a very soft bottle brush to clean the glass and then dry it with a special microfiber towel made for crystal. If you prefer to air dry, I would suggest rinsing well with distilled water after you have cleaned the glass; otherwise you will have spots when it is dry. Spots can be difficult to remove from crystal and can actually etch its surface if you have very hard water.

, edited February 23 2017 at 3:58AM
    Options

@hwchoy

That bespoke Glencairn box sounds like a great idea!

Since you are a Glencairn fan, have you checked out the cut crystal version? It is a very nice glass-perfect for an old Dalmore.

Options

where where?

I much prefer the copita for my dalmore, preferrably with those stags. then I can imagine myself pouring a generous measure, swirl it and then throw it on the carpet... as you know, gotta make sure the glass is clean :lol:

Carlton said:

@hwchoy

That bespoke Glencairn box sounds like a great idea!

Since you are a Glencairn fan, have you checked out the cut crystal version? It is a very nice glass-perfect for an old Dalmore.

Options

I wonder what the distilleries will think if I were to get a craftsman and fabricate a fancy hardwood box for six glencarins, and then on the lid I have them carve the distillery logo such as a large dalmore stag.

Options

@hwchoy

It's easy for RP to rinse his glass with Dalmore because he is not paying for the whisky!

With regard to a Dalmore logo on your box, I expect the distillery would heartily approve. Who knows, it might even land you a mention and photo in their social media?

hwchoy liked that
    Options

now isn't he a lucky bugger ;-)

Carlton said:

@hwchoy

It's easy for RP to rinse his glass with Dalmore because he is not paying for the whisky!