Glencairn glass

• Fabario
    Topic creator
    Joined: 13.02.2017Posts: 3CollectionFabarios CollectionRatings: 1

I was wondering what glass is better for tasting whisky, the glencairn or the nosing glass. In the vlogs of Hort Leuning he always uses a nosing glass but I have been told that the glencairn glass is better for tasting. I have seen the beginner video about what glasses are used for whisky tasting but he did not discuss the glencairn glass that much. Can someone enlighten me which glass is used best in what situation. 

Tagged:
    Mathis liked that
  • Mathis Member Mathis Joined: 26.10.2016Posts: 105Ratings: 33
    Options
    Hi Fabario, good question. 

I guess it also comes down to personal opinion. I prefer the Copita nosing glass, and some of my friends the classic Glencairn glass. My advise would be try both for an extended amount of time - and then decide. 

Have a great day sir. 
    Fabario liked that
  • [Deleted User] Joined: 26.08.2016Posts: 0CollectionEmpty Bottle ClubRatings: 160
    Options

@Fabario

@Mathis gave you some good advice: try both and decide which works best for you. Any small-to-medium-sized glass that tapers will be good for nosing; glasses that flare out slightly at the rim are generally easier to drink from (but that comes down to personal preference).

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets. (Ron Swanson)
    FabarioMathis2 liked that
  • bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@Fabario
    I like both glasses. Check out Horsts video about glasses. It is very informative.

Mathis liked that
  • Slàinte_Mhath Guest, Member Slàinte_Mhath Joined: 09.10.2016Posts: 134CollectionOslo Whisky ClubRatings: 211
    Options

I prefer the Glencairn glass but as others pointed out, it's a personal preference. Any glass that allows you nosing a whisky properly will do.

As long as you don't try to nose your malt out of a tumbler, it's all good!

That's what I do. I drink, and I know things.” (Tyrion Lannister)

>>> Whisky reviews by Slàinte Mhath <<<

Mathis liked that
  • [Deleted User] Joined: 04.12.2016Posts: 0CollectionJohn's CollectionRatings: 0
    Options
    As long as you don't try to nose your malt out of a tumbler, it's all good!

Exactly. Don't stick your nose in a tumbler containing whisk(e)y unless you enjoy getting slapped in the face by Lady Ethanol.

SCOTT: I found this on Ganymood, er, Ganymede.
    TOMAR: What is it?
    SCOTT: Well, it's, er. (peers at it, sniffs it) It's green.
    Mathis liked that
    Options

@to_e_or_not_to_e Agreed.. Try to avoid the tumbler - or well, big discussion right? I sincerly hate tumblers myself. I think it does a horrible job showcasing the characteristics of the whisky. However some people enjoy it, and whisky in all honesty, comes down to enjoyment. In my opinion problems arise when the tumbler is seen as the "standard" way to enjoy a dram. A shame in my opinion. :smile:

• hwchoy Member hwchoy Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3
    Options

my bottle of Glenrothes Vintage Reserve 12 years came with two nosing "bowl"... the good thing is they aren't so big as to qualify as tumblers, and does have a tapering mouth for nosing.  however there is no stem so your palm would be warming the dram... not good for a country where the air temperature on a cold evening is 26C.

• [Deleted User] Joined: 04.12.2016Posts: 0CollectionJohn's CollectionRatings: 0
    , edited February 20 2017 at 3:31PM
    Options

@hwchoy

My first bottle of Glenmorangie 10 year old came with a couple of similar glasses. I never use them; instead, they decorate a curio cabinet shelf.
    SCOTT: I found this on Ganymood, er, Ganymede.
    TOMAR: What is it?
    SCOTT: Well, it's, er. (peers at it, sniffs it) It's green.
    hwchoy liked that
    Options

@hwchoy Looks like a descent glass this one. I like that its narrow at top. 

hwchoy liked that
  • [Deleted User] Joined: 26.08.2016Posts: 0CollectionEmpty Bottle ClubRatings: 160
    , edited February 17 2017 at 4:15AM
    Options

I have a couple of glasses that are very similar to those (maybe identical). I think they are pretty good glasses. You're right, though; if you held the glass for a while it would warm the whisky.

The summers here in Tennessee are pretty brutal, but at least we have some respite for part of the year. Do you ever chill your whisky?

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets. (Ron Swanson)
    Mathishwchoy2 liked that