Budget Peated single malt scotch

• Stephg25
    Topic creator

Hi i'm looking for a budget peated scotch. There's 3 who are available in my region for around the same price.
    I want to know witch one to chose between. 
    -The Talisker 10
    -Laphroaid Quater Cask
    -Isle of Jura Superstition

I think i'm gonna go with the Quater Cask.
    What,s your opinion ?

• [Deleted User] Joined: 26.08.2016Posts: 0CollectionEmpty Bottle ClubRatings: 160
    Options

@Stephg25

If you are wanting a heavily peated malt, you won't go wrong with the Laphroaig Quarter Cask.

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets. (Ron Swanson)
  • kroman Member Joined: 16.04.2016Posts: 261Collectionkromans CollectionRatings: 21
    Options
    Carlton said:

@Stephg25

If you are wanting a heavily peated malt, you won't go wrong with the Laphroaig Quarter Cask.

Agreed.  HOWEVER, if you've never had a peated scotch, I would go with one of the other two, preferably the Talisker; they aren't quite as smoky and might serve as a better introduction than Laphroaig.  BTW, the triple wood is my personal favorite Laphroaig and is, in my opinion, worth the extra couple of dollars.

• Stephg25
    Topic creator
    Options

I'm not the most experimented with peated scotch but i really like it. 
    I got the Lagavulin 16 and taste the ardbeg uigeadail.. A just want something more casual to drink. 

Thank for your anwser :smile: 

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@Stephg25
    I would go with either Laphroig Quarter Cask or the TAlisker 10. As both are better in my opinion and also a bit more complex. However if you want smoke then Jura Superstition is a valid choice.

• kroman Member Joined: 16.04.2016Posts: 261Collectionkromans CollectionRatings: 21
    , edited February 7 2017 at 3:08PM
    Options
    Stephg25 said:
    I just want something more casual to drink. 
    @Stephg25 ;;
     If you are looking for a good, more casual dram, I would go with the Talisker.  Plus, if you want something more complex, I have found Talisker 10 to be very fun to experiment with.  For example, try two parts Talisker 10 with one part balvenie 12 doublewood or Bunnahabhain 12.  Some people might not agree with doing things like this, but it can be a good way to add variety to your drams.  

I remember when I first starting drinking scotch.  the first bottle I bought was an ardbeg 10 (not a great introduction to scotch, lol)!  I didn't enjoy it too much, but I had spent too much money to dump it.  well, the second bottle I bought was Highland Park 12, so I added a splash of that to the Ardbeg and I loved it! 
  • Shmotch Member Joined: 29.11.2016Posts: 45Ratings: 0
    , edited February 7 2017 at 11:02PM
    Options
    @Stephg25

it depends on the level of peat you prefer...

Talisker 10 is peated at approx. 20 ppm phenol and is softly smokey, a wonderful whisky, one of my favorites and bottled at 46.9 ABV

Laphroiag is one of the "peatiest" at approx 50 ppm phenol...I would recommend to purchase the 10 year cask strength 57.1 ABV  over quarter cask and select...especially the Jan 15 casks, but you can't go wrong with the other selections of Laphroiag

Jura Superstition I must defer on this one as it's been quite a few years and I don't have tasting notes...in general I don't recall Jura cranking out too many peat monsters

• Stormer Member Stormer Joined: 18.05.2016Posts: 5Ratings: 5
    Options

Not very experienced on peated malts, but Talisker 10 is a great dram!!!

• toddstevens4 Member Joined: 14.04.2016Posts: 23Collectiontoddstevens4s CollectionRatings: 4
    Options

@Stephg25 Talisker 10 is good but colored and chill-filtered. Laphroaig Quarter Cask and Cask Strength aren't chill-filtered, so if that's important to you I'd recommend you vote with your dollar thusly. No experience with Jura. If you can find Ledaig 10 that's good too.

Todd Stevens
    hwchoy liked that
  • Mathis Member Mathis Joined: 26.10.2016Posts: 105Ratings: 33
    Options

@Stephg25 ;

Talisker 10 in my opinion is a superb dram. I have this dram a lot.

Reading your answers it seems like you don't want a hectic peat-explosion. 

The talisker is one of the best "everyday drams" I know of.