Forum Design Suggestion

• [Deleted User]
    Topic creator
    Joined: 04.12.2016Posts: 0CollectionJohn's CollectionRatings: 0
    , edited February 3 2017 at 2:19AM

If you're taking suggestions, please consider combining the forum's two main categories: "Tasting, Opinions,..." and "Production, Background,..."

It's often confusing which to choose of these inordinately vague headings, and by insisting on the unwarranted distinction (especially given the low amount of traffic in the forum), your intention for this site to be as intuitive as possible is unduly compromised.

For example, the first post I submitted asked "opinions" about the continued "production" of certain bourbons (which can be found here). It really could have been filed under either category (although, in hindsight, I would probably would have gone the other way).

The consolidation I'm proposing would alleviate some of that. If the arbitrary division no longer exists, functionality improves.

Besides, if someone wants to peruse the latest posts on single malts, they probably don't care about the subtle difference between the two groupings, so the unnecessary division just makes navigating to the desired information that much more complicated.

There are so many great features to Whisky.com that actually do contribute to its enjoyment that eliminating the redundant, unneeded ones would only enhance the experience of being a member here. I mean, why make things more difficult than they have to be?

SCOTT: I found this on Ganymood, er, Ganymede.
    TOMAR: What is it?
    SCOTT: Well, it's, er. (peers at it, sniffs it) It's green.
    bedlamborn liked that
  • bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@to_e_or_not_to_e
    I have to agree with you that it is confusing about these headings. As many discussions falls into both.

[Deleted User] liked that
  • [Deleted User] Joined: 26.08.2016Posts: 0CollectionEmpty Bottle ClubRatings: 160
    Options

@to_e_or_not_to_e

@bedlamborn

I agree that this would be a good idea.

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets. (Ron Swanson)
  • kroman Member Joined: 16.04.2016Posts: 261Collectionkromans CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

I also agree. I understand the intent, but it's a little too redundant

• [Deleted User]
    Topic creator
    , edited February 4 2017 at 5:38AM
    Options

Thanks for the support, guys.

I meant no disrespect to Horst or Ben. I truly appreciate that this site is full-featured; I just think that the forum template should adapt to the community it services.

I hope they take it under advisement. With some tweaking this site could be even better and hopefully grow in members who actively engage each other here.

• ben_2 Guest, Administrator ben_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 271Collectionbens CollectionRatings: 92
    Options

Just to make it clear you want to merge the Tasting and the Produktion tab. 

I personally like the Distillery Tab below much better because it Sorts much better.

I work for whisky.com
  • kroman Member Joined: 16.04.2016Posts: 261Collectionkromans CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@ben ;

ben said:
    Just to make it clear you want to merge the Tasting and the Produktion tab. 

...correct.  That's what we are saying.  I understand the difference between the two tabs, but most people just use the tasting tab

ben said:
    I personally like the Distillery Tab below much better because it Sorts much better.

I like it too!  Of course, it doesn't work with general opinion posts, but it's nice to see posts regarding specific distilleries.

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@ben
    Tasting and Production tab would be good to merge. If there were more people posting then two separate would be good. But with the amount of traffic it would be easier with just one.

• ben_2 Guest, Administrator ben_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 271Collectionbens CollectionRatings: 92
    Options

Hey, 

I did it myself! This time I realy managed to do it myself rather than running to the Web-developer!

I work for whisky.com
  • [Deleted User]
    Topic creator
    , edited February 19 2017 at 8:03AM
    Options

@ben
    Thank you.

I really appreciate all of the hard work you and Horst put into this site. It really shows!

And thanks for taking my our suggestion into consideration. I'm very pleased you did.