Auchentoshan 16YO Bourbon 60.10%

• fujideng
    Topic creator

I tasted a cask sample of Auchentoshan 16 YO recently. I think the abv 60.10% is too high. Is it quite unusual or normal?

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@fujideng
    An ABV above 60% is not that common. How high it is depends what ABV the casks were filled with and how much the angels share is (loss of alcohol), and that depend on how the casks have been stored.

I saw a 12 yo Glenfarclas with and ABV at 63,7%, so it can be even higher.

• DaFin Member Joined: 23.05.2016Posts: 103CollectionDaFins CollectionRatings: 15
    Options

Should be a cask strength. So is not diluted with water when bottling.
    glenfarclas 105 is a cask strength at 60% abv, for example.

• Slàinte_Mhath Guest, Member Slàinte_Mhath Joined: 09.10.2016Posts: 134CollectionOslo Whisky ClubRatings: 211
    , edited February 1 2017 at 9:37AM
    Options
    fujideng said:
    I think the abv 60.10% is too high.

If it's a cask strength whisky you can (and in fact always should) add some water to release the flavor of the malt and avoid numbing your taste buds. Add water with a teaspoon or straw until you have reached the point where your palate can fully appreciate what your whisky has to offer.

Cheers!

That's what I do. I drink, and I know things.” (Tyrion Lannister)

>>> Whisky reviews by Slàinte Mhath <<<

kroman liked that
  • fujideng
    Topic creator
    Options
    @bedlamborn

Most of the samples which I tasted are cask strength non chill-filtred, natural colour. In my opinion, the light body and flavours can not balance the high abv when assessing the cask. The only way is to be diluted. In that case, everything is changed. Am I right or wrong from this point?
    how do you assess a single cask of single malt good or not good?

• fujideng
    Topic creator
    Options

I understand it is cask strength. What I want to know that how you guys assess a single cask of single malt good or not when tasting the sample.

@DaFin

• Shmotch Member Joined: 29.11.2016Posts: 45Ratings: 0
    Options

@fujideng

a drop or two of water will help to "open up" cask strength whisky, thus allowing the nose and flavors to surface, the dilution effect is minimal.  I typically add a drop or two of water to anything over about 55%, it does make the dram better...things do get a bit potent when you hit the 60s, I have only one whisky on my shelf now that high, single cask English Whisky Co. 60.9%

• kroman Member Joined: 16.04.2016Posts: 261Collectionkromans CollectionRatings: 21
    , edited February 1 2017 at 2:55PM
    Options

@fujideng, I would do what @SlainteMhath said. Add a teaspoon, wait a couple of minutes for the water and whisky to mix, then have a sip.  If it still feels too "hot", add another teaspoon and wait a couple of minutes.  Eventually, you will find a water-to-whisky ratio that you like.  That way, you'll know the next time you pour yourself the Auchentoshan 16YR to add three teaspoons of water, for example. 

Think of it as a fun experiment, and you'll enjoy the process more!

As far as assessing if the actual whisky is "good" or not...well, that's something only you can decide!  Check the reviews, though, to see what other people think.

• DaFin Member Joined: 23.05.2016Posts: 103CollectionDaFins CollectionRatings: 15
    Options

@fujideng

I enjoy cask strength with some drops of water.  I prefer to down ABV to 45% more or less. 
    If not,  the alcohol hides flavours and paralizes tasting buds. With water,  cask strength is better. 

Maybe someone can say,  so what to buy cask strength if you put water?...  Well,  you can adjust ABV to your prefer level. And I can add that some cask strength worth your money because you have more whisky (when diluted)  for same money that same whisky but not in cask strength.