Lagavulin 8 year Limited Release

2»
  • Slàinte_Mhath Guest, Member Slàinte_Mhath Joined: 09.10.2016Posts: 134CollectionOslo Whisky ClubRatings: 211
    Options

@toddstevens4

I respect your decision to boycott buying Single Malts that are chill-filtered, although you are missing a whole spectrum of malts. I try to avoid NAS whiskies as a matter of principle, but being even stricter would imply that I can't purchase 90% of what is on the market.

That's what I do. I drink, and I know things.” (Tyrion Lannister)

>>> Whisky reviews by Slàinte Mhath <<<

• Shmotch
    Topic creator
    Options

@toddstevens4

Thanks Todd. I can't really fault Lagavulin for being under the mighty hand of Diageo, the great Scotch mafia lol...they had to do what they needed to survive financially...personally, I feel it's worth $55 for this one off bottling...I might buy another and stick it away for a few years and do what Horst suggested and use it to barter...I also don't feel chill filtering particularly affects the end product for this 8 year, it's spirit dominated...

toddstevens4 liked that
  • toddstevens4 Member Joined: 14.04.2016Posts: 23Collectiontoddstevens4s CollectionRatings: 4
    Options

@SlàinteMhath @Schmotch

I realize that I sound like a zealot regarding the issue of chill-filtration, and I don't want to limit myself to a tiny fraction of single malt Scotch offerings. Horst did a comprehensive study, and I'm a great fan of science, which suggests I wouldn't notice the difference. It's not ideal, but there's probably some good in letting distilleries know via letter what I would prefer, as opposed to never tasting these otherwise great spirits. I'll temper my stalwart nature a bit and maybe, just maybe, because of the price, pick up a bottle. It would be nice to get a glimpse of the spirit character of lagavulin, as their stills have less effect in toning down the spirit. I need sensible Malt-mates like you all on these boards to keep me from going off the rails.
    Slainte friends!

Todd Stevens
  • bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@toddstevens4
    I think that chill filtering is just a minor evil in the ways of whisky. The big evil is colouring of the whisky. Don't understand why they do it.

• Shmotch
    Topic creator
    Options

@bedlamborn

coloring makes sense for blends as it helps ensure a consistency in product each year, however I do wish every OB of single malts were not E150 treated, Diageo is a big perpetrator of coloring...it's so nice seeing a natural whisky in all its glory