Older whisky with sherry influences

• Chappers Member Chappers Joined: 27.11.2016Posts: 21CollectionChappers' CollectionRatings: 5
    Options

@hwchoy admittedly I haven't had the 15, but I rate the A'Bunadh higher than the 16.

hwchoy liked that
  • kroman Member Joined: 16.04.2016Posts: 261Collectionkromans CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@hwchoy @Chappers I think I am in the minority, but I like the 16 better than A'Bunadh.  That being said, if someone likes sherried whiskies and they haven't had either, I would tell them to get the A'Bunadh.  It's almost mandatory to at least try it!

hwchoy liked that
  • horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options
    kroman said:
    @hwchoy @Chappers I think I am in the minority, but I like the 16 better than A'Bunadh. 

I aggree. The a'bunadh is a quite young whisky.

I stated out comparing the Glendronach 12yo with the Glenfarclas 12yo and found that the Glendronach had the better taste and structure than the Glenfarclas 12yo. Now I have tasted the Glenfarclas 17yo and that was according to me much better than the 12yo. With better structure between the oak and the sherry.

Now I am looking at other slightly older whiskies that has been stored in sherry casks. I could go with Glenfarclas 21 and 25yo. Not so expensive considering their age. Or I could go with Glendronach 18 or 21yo. A third alternative would be trying out some Glengoyne 18 or 21yo.

What is your opinions on these different whiskies?

I like all of them. Just the Glenfarclas 12yrs is less good then the others. I would go for the Glendronach 18yrs in terms of best price/value.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
  • Highlander_2 Member Joined: 31.08.2017Posts: 168Ratings: 0
    Options

@bedlamborn I have tried Glen Farc 15 & 18...both good,15 more sherry and stronger,at 46%.Glendronach 18 is very dark and sherry infused.Glengoyne 15 is lighter with a few subtle flavours....nice!Glengoyne 18 gets very good reviews.Have you tried Aberlour 18...my order is arriving this week and GlenFarc 25(£35 off on The Whiskey Exchange),arriving this week too.Both those two are great faves of Horst,so they must be very good!!!

• hwchoy Member hwchoy Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3
    Options

@horst_s 

between the GlenDronach 15 and 18, which would you go for?  The 15 Revival is now much higher than the 18, but knowing that the 15 is not really a 15.  Should I stock up on a few more bottles before the "not really" 15 runs out?

• bedlamborn
    Topic creator
    Member bedlamborn
    Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@Highlander 

No Aberlour 18 for me yet. Next up for me would be to open either a Glenfarclas 21 or a Glengoyne 21.

• Highlander_2 Member Joined: 31.08.2017Posts: 168Ratings: 0
    Options

@bedlamborn Glenfarc 21 and Glengoyne 21 both very good I'm sure.My GlenFarc 25 arrived today....waiting till Sat'day to sample its delights!Glendronach 21 is very good too apparently!

• bedlamborn
    Topic creator
    Member bedlamborn
    Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@Highlander 

Glenfarclas 25 is one of the few 25 yo that one can afford :smile:

• horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

@hwchoy I would always go for the 18yrs. It is far more settled an elegant. The 15yrs is far more intense and turbulent.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
  • hwchoy Member hwchoy Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3
    Options

@horst_s 

thanks!  and the best part is the 18 is cheaper than the 15.