Top 25 year drams...

• kroman
    Topic creator
    Joined: 16.04.2016Posts: 261Collectionkromans CollectionRatings: 21

Hey all,

I'm thinking about saving some money to buy my first 25 year old scotch. The idea is to have a dram once a year for the next 15 years or so.  I doubt there are any BAD 25 yr scotches out there, but I'm sure there are overpriced ones.  So, I'm asking those who have had at least two different ones:  what would you recommend?

I guess my main point is to have something reasonably priced.  I'm also thinking I should stay away from peated scotches, as I'm guessing the peat is way subdued after 25 years (although a 25 yr Talisker sounds delicious!

I'm leaning towards bunnahabhain, glenmorangie or edradour port finish, but would love to hear recommendations from people who know their old scotches!

hwchoy liked that
  • hwchoy Member hwchoy Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3
    Options

in that context I would probably splurge on a Dalmore 25, but the Glenmorangie Quarter Century would be good too, or maybe the Glenrothes 25. I'm imaging that it should be a good sweet and old dram without too much complicated drama.

• [Deleted User] Joined: 04.12.2016Posts: 0CollectionJohn's CollectionRatings: 0
    , edited February 22 2017 at 10:12AM
    Options
    @kroman

Sakes alive, five time five! (Nev tried, nev buy'd)

Do dat Glenmo thang. Yo!

SCOTT: I found this on Ganymood, er, Ganymede.
    TOMAR: What is it?
    SCOTT: Well, it's, er. (peers at it, sniffs it) It's green.
  • kroman
    Topic creator
    Options

@to_e_or_not_to_e  

'das how we roll fo sho,
    wit' our pockets lookin' swoll.
    Bottom's up with Glenmo,
    when it's done, get some mo'  8)

[Deleted User] liked that
  • Chappers Member Chappers Joined: 27.11.2016Posts: 21CollectionChappers' CollectionRatings: 5
    Options

I've only ever sampled 4 25 year olds (Glenmorangie, Glenlivet, Glenfarclas and Glengoyne) but they were all fantastic, with The Glengoyne 25 being my favourite. If I had to put them in order:

• Glengoyne
    • Glenmorangie
    • Glenlivet
    • Glenfarclas

If my memory serves me right - the Glenfarclas is a lot cheaper than the others at around £110, the others being at the £250 mark.

• kroman
    Topic creator
    Options

@Chappers  I haven't gotten around to Glengoyne yet, so it seems a little odd to start off with a 25 year.  glenfarclas is the most affordable for sure, and that's  a big appeal.  but if I'm spending that kind of money, I want a nice presentation case (petty, I know); glenmorangie fits that bill nicely.

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@kroman
    Glenfarclas is not big on presentation as they want people to drink their 25yo and not display it :smile:

• Slàinte_Mhath Guest, Member Slàinte_Mhath Joined: 09.10.2016Posts: 134CollectionOslo Whisky ClubRatings: 211
    , edited December 19 2016 at 7:20PM
    Options
    @kroman

I have reviewed Lagavulin 25yr and Yamazaki 25yr and both are without doubt excellent whiskies - but way beyond $1000/bottle.

Lagavulin 25yr 200th Anniversary

I must confess: I had my doubts. Could this 200th-anniversary edition of Lagavulin 25 fulfill the high expectations? With natural cask strength of 51.7% ABV (bottle no. 1573), the nose achieves perfect balance between delicate peatiness and intense, but not over the top sherry cask influence. Cigar smoke, orange peel and dried fruits harmonize with strong tea, cinnamon and dark chocolate. The taste is impressively zesty, rich and peaty dry, leading to a prolonged and bitter spicy finish. Beyond doubt a superb Single Malt - but not necessarily better than the DE.

RATING: 4.8/5.0 ? 92 pts

Yamazaki 25yr

Perfection is an illusion - but this Japanese masterpiece of a Single Malt certainly comes very close to it (bottle no. 11218 ). The nose of Yamazaki 25 is overwhelmingly complex and heavy with overripe strawberries, red roses, raisins, dried figs and a pleasant touch of old leather. After a sweet arrival, the taste rapidly turns peppery and mildly dry with Christmas spices, cloves and ginger. This whisky was matured in first-class sherry casks, leading to a prolonged, aromatic finish with delicate hints of coffee and cocoa. A superb sherry bomb with quality from start to finish.

RATING: 4.9/5.0 ? 93 pts

As for more affordable Single Malts with a 25 years age statement, I certainly recommend Caol Ila and Bunnahabhain. Glenfarclas 25yr is not a bad choice either, but I'm not sure if it's much better than the 21-year-old expression.

Of all whiskies mentioned, I'd probably pick Bunnahabhain 25yr.

Cheers!

That's what I do. I drink, and I know things.” (Tyrion Lannister)

>>> Whisky reviews by Slàinte Mhath <<<

• Shmotch Member Joined: 29.11.2016Posts: 45Ratings: 0
    Options

@kroman

greetings, the big question is what is your budget, then from there, Bourbon or Sherry cask, and there are not a lot of official bottlings at 25 year worth the big bucks, before you drop the coin, you should at least give a consideration to the wonderful independent bottlings from Gordon & Macphail and Signatory and Cadenhead and a few others, the bottles are also usually very nice and you can get some amazing whiskies this way

• hwchoy Member hwchoy Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3
    Options

I like Aberfeldy 18 and 21 very much, there is an Aberfeldy 28 priced very reasonably around 250-300 EUR.  but I think it may be a travel retail exclusive.

• horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

@kroman
    The peat in an old single malt will reduce largely over the years. But it does not go away but changes into complexity. Most often into the better.

I would also have a look at:
    Bowmore 25yrs
    Benriach Authenticus 25yrs (quite rare)
    Springbank 25yrs (a little expensive)
    Highland Park 25yrs (a little expensive)
    Aultmore 25yrs
    Balvenie Triple Cask 25  (a little expensive)

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com