Older whisky with sherry influences

• bedlamborn
    Topic creator
    Member bedlamborn
    Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21

I stated out comparing the Glendronach 12yo with the Glenfarclas 12yo and found that the Glendronach had the better taste and structure than the Glenfarclas 12yo. Now I have tasted the Glenfarclas 17yo and that was according to me much better than the 12yo. With better structure between the oak and the sherry.

Now I am looking at other slightly older whiskies that has been stored in sherry casks. I could go with Glenfarclas 21 and 25yo. Not so expensive considering their age. Or I could go with Glendronach 18 or 21yo. A third alternative would be trying out some Glengoyne 18 or 21yo.

What is your opinions on these different whiskies?

• Shmotch Member Joined: 29.11.2016Posts: 45Ratings: 0
    , edited December 14 2016 at 3:12AM
    Options
    @bedlamborn

Glengoyne has never been anything but decent/good for me, Glenfarclas 21 is about $139 in Chicago and is a very nice Sherry bomb. I can't speak to a 21 Glendronach, but the 12 is very nice,  My favorite one to date is a 25 year Mortlach, more expensive, but an incredible whisky.  There is a Glenlivet 18 year Sherry finish that is priced about $85 that is a nice pick up.  I'm sure the maestro of malt will be along shortly to give you a better analysis

bedlamborn liked that
  • kroman Member Joined: 16.04.2016Posts: 261Collectionkromans CollectionRatings: 21
    , edited December 14 2016 at 6:02PM
    Options
    @bedlamborn ;

; I have found the Glendronach 12 to be great  for the first half of the bottle.  After about 6 months or so, the bitterness from the oak crept through too much for my liking.  A little bit of water tones it down, though.

The 15 year was much better: thick, fruity, sherry laden with a long finish.  I haven't had the 18, but I assume that it will be even better.  If the glendronach and and glenfarclas were next to each other for the same price, I'd go with the Glendronach. 

Aberlour 16 probably has one of the best noses I've ever had with a scotch, so don't forget them if you want sherry; Aberlour is most known for the the A'Bunadh, but if you ask me, all their liquid is good

• hwchoy Member hwchoy Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3
    Options

yes Aberlour 15 is very memorable.

• bedlamborn
    Topic creator
    Member bedlamborn
    Options

@Shmotch
    Morlach 25 costs 650 Euros in Sweden, they are so expensive. Glenlivet I will look into if I can find it at a bar/pub and try it out.
    @kroman
    The Glendronach 12 is very good, and the 18 is not so expensive considering that it is almost 20 years of age in it now :smile:
    I had the Aberlour 12 one month ago but I was not so impressed, maybe the 16 year old is better.

• [Deleted User] Joined: 26.08.2016Posts: 0CollectionEmpty Bottle ClubRatings: 160
    Options

@bedlamborn

Did you try the standard Aberlour 12 or the un-chillfiltered version at higher abv? I haven't had the un-chillfiltered version, but I heard it is better.

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets. (Ron Swanson)
  • Shmotch Member Joined: 29.11.2016Posts: 45Ratings: 0
    Options

@bedlamborn

wow 650 euros is crazy...this is by far my most expensive whisky in my collection at about $300 and worth it at that price point...have you tried Springbank?

• bedlamborn
    Topic creator
    Member bedlamborn
    Options

@Carlton
    It was the normal 12 yo Aberlour that I tried. Will se tonight when I go to a pub if I can find the 16yo Aberlour.

@Shmotch
    Mortlach is now a premium brand and also for that price you only get a 50cl bottle...
    I tried Springbank 10 years ago and I don't remember that much of Springbank.

• Chappers Member Chappers Joined: 27.11.2016Posts: 21CollectionChappers' CollectionRatings: 5
    Options

I would echo the suggestion of the Aberlour A'Bunadh - value for money I think you'll struggle to find a better one.

As for Glengoyne - I've had the 18 and 21 and recommend them both, although I think the 21 would be better for what you're looking for.

Above all I would try Glendronach 18 - one of the best sherried whiskies I've ever had. Heavily sherried and a complex.

• hwchoy Member hwchoy Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3
    Options

@Chappers

how would you rate the A'Bunadh against Aberlour 15 or 16?

• bedlamborn
    Topic creator
    Member bedlamborn
    Options

@Chappers
    I have abottle of A'Bunadh at home waiting to be opened.

Glengoyne 21 is very cheap at a cruise that I will be going to soon, only 75 Euros for a bottle.