Cork Taint

• [Deleted User]
    Topic creator
    Joined: 26.08.2016Posts: 0CollectionEmpty Bottle ClubRatings: 160

Anyone else had a bottle of whisky contaminated by TCA? I have only encountered one such bottle. It reminded me of being in an old, musty, abandoned building with a leaky roof. :frown: I have seen many darkened, discolored corks that caused no problems, but, strangely, the cork on this tainted bottle appeared to be perfect.

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets. (Ron Swanson)
  • bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@Carlton
    Never had a bottle of bad whisky due to cork. Only some wine bottles that were mouldy and rotting.

• horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

@Carlton
    Yes! I've got quite a few of them. After smelling on such a cork there is no chance to taste another whisky that evening. My nose receptors are spoiled for the rest of the evening. TCA is so sticky. Incredible.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
  • [Deleted User]
    Topic creator
    Joined: 26.08.2016Posts: 0CollectionEmpty Bottle ClubRatings: 160
    Options

@horst_s

I have read that filters containing polyethylene are available for commercial-scale removal of TCA in the wine industry. Common kitchen plastic wrap is made of polyethylene, so I might give it a go if I run across another bad bottle.

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets. (Ron Swanson)
  • [Deleted User] Joined: 04.12.2016Posts: 0CollectionJohn's CollectionRatings: 0
    , edited February 19 2017 at 7:14AM
    Options
    @Carlton

I wish those who make the decisions regarding bottling would consider switching to synthetic cork and/or plastic screw cap. With all of the issues intrinsic to natural cork (TCA, cork breakage, bottle leakage), it doesn't seem to offer much benefit over the alternatives.

I prefer a high quality plastic screw cap (like those used in the W. L. Weller line of wheated bourbons).

The "Stelvin" aluminum screw cap has a tendency for the threads to strip if you twist a little too forcefully when closing. The Scotch blends typically use this type of closure (Johnnie Walker, Teacher's, The Famous Grouse, etc.) along with some bourbons (especially Jim Beam).

SCOTT: I found this on Ganymood, er, Ganymede.
    TOMAR: What is it?
    SCOTT: Well, it's, er. (peers at it, sniffs it) It's green.
  • horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

@Carlton

I wish those who make the decisions regarding bottling would consider switching to synthetic cork and/or plastic screw cap.

There are some wine bottlers out there, which switch to 'corks' out of glass with an industrial o-shaped sealing. You have to do something like this to prevent degrading a whisky marketing-wise cheap with an industrial high volume screw cap.

Because the amount of whiskys with TCA is so low (1:2'000) changing to glass would bring upheaval to the connoisseurs, which do not know about this problem in majority.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com