Lack of connoisseurship

• [Deleted User]
    Topic creator
    Joined: 26.08.2016Posts: 0CollectionEmpty Bottle ClubRatings: 160

One of several disturbing trends in the US whiskey market is a lack of connoisseurship among a sizeable segment of new drinkers of American whiskey. They read online that Pappy Van Winkle, the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection, or some other limited, special release is the "best," and they go to great lengths to secure a bottle, all the while ignoring the great whiskeys that are regularly available on the shelves. They have no conception of what makes a great whiskey and no experience with which to judge whether that white whale bottle that cost them hundreds or thousands of dollars is better than a $40 bottle. It would be fun to set these folks up in a blind tasting. :lol:

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets. (Ron Swanson)
  • [Deleted User] Joined: 04.12.2016Posts: 0CollectionJohn's CollectionRatings: 0
    , edited February 19 2017 at 7:41AM
    Options
    @Carlton

Who needs discernment when you have a fat wallet. Right? If the whiskey is that much more expensive and unobtainable, it must be that much better. Correct?

These people already consider themselves connoisseurs simply for embracing the hype. The adage "a fool and his money are soon parted" easily applies to these folks.

I'll stick with the deals I can pick up from my local liquor store any day: 
    Wild Turkey 101, Henry McKenna Single Barrel, Four Roses Small Batch, Eagle Rare, etc.

SCOTT: I found this on Ganymood, er, Ganymede.
    TOMAR: What is it?
    SCOTT: Well, it's, er. (peers at it, sniffs it) It's green.
  • hwchoy Member hwchoy Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3
    Options

better they spend their money on expensive limited editions which they probably wouldn't drink, and leave the good stuff for us to enjoy at a reasonable price.

• horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

@Carlton
    This is kind of a first world problem. There are appr. 1% in the western world, which have no problems with money at all. They just have plenty. In the less 'whisky developed' western countries only 0.2% to 0.3% are interessted especially in whisky. Assuming that there is a 750m population in Europe and the Americas then we see 0.25%*1%*750m roughly 20k potential whisky buyers which do not have to care about money.

Every limited bottling from Macallan over Ardbeg to Lagavulin might be sold for any price. There will be buyers out there. You just habe to reach them.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com