Tips for a non-peaty every day Whisky?

• delarrn
    Topic creator

Hi folks,

I'm new here, so please bear with me- but I'd love to hear your advice.

Looking for a whisky that's mellow enough to drink every other evening, but still holds attention. I'm pretty new to whisky, but thus far have worked out I strongly dislike peat (at least so far) and enjoy whiskies that fall into the sweet, nutty, fruity, spicy, sherry, malty categories. I'm new to whisky so mainly drinking on the rocks. Looking for something that's reasonably priced enough - ie sub £50, preferably sub £40 - to drink on a regular basis.

To start myself off I bought myself a single malt, a bourbon and a Rye:

Aberlour 10 - enjoy this neat, but find it very quickly becomes insipid if taken on the rocks
    Woodford Reserve - think I'll only be using this for cocktails
    Sazarac Rye - really like this, but hard to get hold of (in UK)

The Aberlour 10 and Sazerac I've basically finished now (the Woodford is barely touched). Any tips for what I should go for next?

Cheers!

• [Deleted User] Joined: 26.08.2016Posts: 0CollectionEmpty Bottle ClubRatings: 160
    Options

I have a few recommendations for you:

Isle of Arran 10 Year Old
    Glengoyne 10 Year Old
    Aberfeldy 12 Year Old
    Speyburn 10 Year Old
    Glen Grant 10 or 12 Year Old
    Glenfarclas 12 Year Old
    Glen Moray 12 Year Old
    Rittenhouse Rye
    Bulleit Rye
    Wild Turkey 81 Rye

Have fun discovering new whiskies, and give new ones a fair chance. I am sometimes halfway through with a new-to-me bottle before it really clicks with my palate. (Don't throw in the towel on the Woodford Reserve just yet.:confused:) The more different types of whiskies you try (even if you're not crazy about them at first), the broader your palate will develop.

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets. (Ron Swanson)
  • kroman Member Joined: 16.04.2016Posts: 261Collectionkromans CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

There have been quite a few posts lately discussing whiskies for newcomers (especially in the newbie section); take a look through a lot of the posts to give yourself a couple of ideas. Keep in mind that, with exception to Bunnahabhain and a few of the whiskies from Bruichladdie, stay away from anything from the Islay region of Scotland...those tend to be smokey/peaty and you won't like them much.

Also, you will find that most of us on this site will generally avoid putting ice in our whiskies. I recommend adding a little bit of water instead. But if you want to add ice, hey, no big deal. You bought it and can drink it with hot sauce if that's what makes you happy :biggrin:

For an affordable, every day whisky, try Glenmorangie Lasanta, Balvenie 12 yr doublewood, or Cragganmore 12 year.

If you REALLY want a scotch with ice, buy the Cragganmore (or maybe the Balvenie) and try this simple cocktail instead: find a drinking glass (a tumbler will work perfectly). Add 1 part Cragganmore, 1 part ginger ale (or equal parts ginger ale and club soda),then fill the rest of the glass with ice cubes. Known as a Presbyterian, this should make a nice, refreshing drink! I don't know if this would work with the Glenmorangie or not; it's more sherried than the others and might not blend well.

• oldnavy Member oldnavy Joined: 01.08.2015Posts: 22CollectionThe chief's stashRatings: 0
    , edited September 25 2016 at 8:19PM
    Options

there are literally dozens to choose from:
    a few I've tried.

Old Puteney 12
    Hazelburn 12
    Craigellachie 13
    Aultmore 12
    Balvenie 15 Sherry Cask
    Clynlish 14

Springbank 12 cask strength is lightly peated, generally accepted as a quality dram.

also try adding water a little bit at a time instead of on the rocks, it's easier
    to find the sweet spot. If the cubes melt too much you can wash out the flavor

• horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

I would suggest you should go for whiskies with a age statement and which are matured or finished in additional casks like Sherry, Port, Madeira, ...

I would suggest:
    Balvenie 12yrs
    Aberlour 12yrs, Both expressions)
    Glendronach 12yrs
    Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban

The heavier the Sherry influence is, the better it is for you on ice.
    I would also suggest that you try your malt without ice just with a few drops of still water.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
  • delarrn
    Topic creator
    Options

Many, many thanks for all you responses and expertise. You've definitely given me much food (or rather, Whisky) for thought.

I know I should really be drinking neat, or adding a little water to open up the whisky - but afraid I just currently get too much joy from having a clinking glass and a nice cold drink to part with it for now. Depends on my mood though, and with winter coming can certainly see myself deeply enjoying a nice neat warming dram.

• toddstevens4 Member Joined: 14.04.2016Posts: 23Collectiontoddstevens4s CollectionRatings: 4
    Options

@delarrn Get a Glencairn glass and try your whisky room temperature. So much of the complexity is lost in cold whisky. Woodford Reserve is wonderful and complex, but ice seizes up the nose and palate. Also I'm going to echo an earlier suggestion, Craigellachie 13 is a great dram for a great price. Slainte friend.

Todd Stevens
  • Chappers Member Chappers Joined: 27.11.2016Posts: 21CollectionChappers' CollectionRatings: 5
    , edited November 30 2016 at 9:47AM
    Options

I'd recommend:

Glenfarclas 10/12
    Aberlour 12
    Glengoyne 10/12
    Glenlivet 12/15/Founder's Reserve
    Balvenie 12 (Both single barrel & doublewood)

Near the £50 mark the Aberlour A'Bunadh & 16 are both quality whiskies.

I'd also echo the suggestion of swapping ice for just a drop of water. I only use water for whiskies above 46% - you can't beat neat IMO

• hwchoy Member hwchoy Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3
    Options

I would also recommend the Aberfeldy 18, very easy to drink.