Other then flavor, what makes a whisky satisfying?

• [Deleted User]
    Topic creator
    Joined: 26.08.2016Posts: 0CollectionEmpty Bottle ClubRatings: 160

We all know that whisky is a multifaceted spirit that excites more than just the senses of taste and smell. Other than flavor, what makes a whisky satisfying to you? One factor that comes to mind for me is finding a good whisky that has flown under the radar; some of the "big name" whiskies can be outstanding, but finding a good whisky that is less well-known is doubly satisfying to me. 

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets. (Ron Swanson)
  • Quin Member Quin Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 91Ratings: 0
    Options

It depends. Differents Whiskies offer lots of different ways to where you can get... Its a long path to get to the truth, but in the end you'll know what you're going for. Distillery X 10-18yo and Distillery Y 18-30yo..

regards.. ..and sorry for bad english
  • Slàinte_Mhath Guest, Member Slàinte_Mhath Joined: 09.10.2016Posts: 134CollectionOslo Whisky ClubRatings: 211
    Options

@Carlton

As you said, ignore the marketing and find rather unknown bottlings with excellent intrinsic quality. Big brands can be a bit lazy on the quality while rather unknown Single Malts must deliver their best to get a reputation.

Another aspect is independent bottlers - they can range from underwhelming to marvellous. Enjoying a bottle you will probably never taste again is satisfying indeed.

Furthermore - blended malts. Especially Compass Box has caught my attention here. It mustn't always be a Single Malt because well-crafted blended malt can be superb.

However, the most satisfying aspect of whisky is good company. Discussing and enjoying a good dram together with friends or spouse can be so rewarding.

That's what I do. I drink, and I know things.” (Tyrion Lannister)

>>> Whisky reviews by Slàinte Mhath <<<

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@SlàinteMhath
    Finding bottles from distilleries that reviewers panned and finding out that one like them.

Drinking whisky with higher alcohol level than 60% and knowing that they are banned in some countries.