The Glenrothes Vintage Cask #45 2001/2016

• hwchoy
    Topic creator
    Member hwchoy
    Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3

Singapore Changi airport DFS was selling a Glenrothes 2001 priced exorbitantly at EUR125 / GBP108 when the regular vintage 2001 is priced at GBP44 at Master of Malt.

Then I realised this is a single cask release from the 2001 distillation and bottled in 2016. Now what I am confused about is the very low cask number #45, when Glenrothes' own single cask releases has 5-digit cask numbers.

The bottling resulted in 360 bottles. the bottling note does not mentioned the cask type, with a generic blurb from Ronnie Cox about american and spanish oak, which clearly could not be the case since this is a single cask.

any information on this bottling would be much appreciated.

• hwchoy
    Topic creator
    Member hwchoy
  • horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options
    "hwchoy" wrote:
    Then I realised this is a single cask release from the 2001 distillation and bottled in 2016. Now what I am confused about is the very low cask number #45, when Glenrothes' own single cask releases has 5-digit cask numbers.

This whisky is just 15yrs old. GR is not colouring its whiskies. The colour corresponds to a refill cask.
    The ABV is too low to be a cask strength. The outcome of bottles correspond to a hogshead (250 liters) or a barrique cask (240 liters).
    From my experience the cask number is just arbitrary. Some distilleries have different cask numbers depending on the type of make or final destination of the raw whisky (Single Malt, Blend).

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
  • hwchoy
    Topic creator
    Member hwchoy
    Options

horst_s said:

This whisky is just 15yrs old. GR is not colouring its whiskies. The colour corresponds to a refill cask.
    The ABV is too low to be a cask strength. The outcome of bottles correspond to a hogshead (250 liters) or a barrique cask (240 liters).
    From my experience the cask number is just arbitrary. Some distilleries have different cask numbers depending on the type of make or final destination of the raw whisky (Single Malt, Blend).

I understand the standard 2001 vintage was bottled in 2012 at only 11 years.  this cask must have been one of the weak laggards left to mature for a few more years and now sold at a premium!

• hwchoy
    Topic creator
    Member hwchoy
    Options

@horst_s

thanks Horst. A hogshead sounds right for 360 bottles with some dilution. 

Now I wonder, why was this cask put aside from the 2012 bottling and matured further for another 4 years? I suppose this refill cask could be a bit weak and could not make it as the 2012 bottling. then it would be a weake cask left behind for 4 more years and then released at a premium price! Hmmmmmm. 

Options

@hwchoy
    No idea. You might try to ask Ronnie Cox (not Ronny Cox). He might know more about this whisky.

• hwchoy
    Topic creator
    Member hwchoy
    Options

@horst_s

thanks Horst. Does Ronnie answer queries from the general public? what's the best way to get in touch?

• hwchoy
    Topic creator
    Member hwchoy
    Options

I was also told by the Singapore DFS staff that the version sold at Hong Kong DFS does not have a "cask number"

Options

@hwchoy
    Sorry, I have no experience with this. If you write you can refer to me.

hwchoy liked that