Best age for bourbon

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@Carlton
    I will definitely try either Buffalo Trace of Four Roses single barrel. Thanks for the recommendations.

• [Deleted User]
    Topic creator
    Joined: 26.08.2016Posts: 0CollectionEmpty Bottle ClubRatings: 160
    Options

@SlàinteMhath ;

Glad I could help. Jim Beam White Label is okay for mixing, but it doesn't make the cut as a sipper. Hopefully you will find the Four Roses Yellow Label and Buffalo Trace more to your liking. The Rittenhouse is a very good example of a typical American Rye, and the cheap packaging doesn't reflect the quality of what is in the bottle. :smile:

@bedlamborn

You're welcome. The Buffalo Trace and Four Roses Single Barrel are very different bourbons, so, if you don't like one, you still might like the other.

Both of you please let me know how it goes.

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets. (Ron Swanson)
  • bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@Carlton
    I will let you know. Will order them as soon as I can. When my bottle of Makers Mark is finished I will order both of Four roses and Buffalo Trace. That will be quite soon as I have a friend who loves Bourbon and when he visits my the level of the bourbon bottles gets lower very quickly.

Options

@Carlton
    Buffalo trace had a very nice smell. The taste were ok. First sip better than the last sip. Liked the smell but the taste were a bit weaker than Makers Mark.

• [Deleted User]
    Topic creator
    Options

@bedlamborn

It will be interesting to see whether the Buffalo Trace grows on you. I think you will see a big difference, for better or worse, with the Four Roses.

Options

@Carlton
    I tried the Four Roses singel barrel. The smell were just a bit weaker than the Buffalo Trace. The impact of the Four Roses Single Barrel is much tougher than the Buffalo Trace. Maybe because of higher ABV but the taste stay in the mouth longer. Which one I like better. We will see :smile:

• [Deleted User]
    Topic creator
    Options

@bedlamborn

The Four Roses has about twice as much rye as the Buffalo Trace, so that makes for the bigger impact.

Options

@Carlton
    I had some more Four Roses Single barrel yesterday with a friend and we were in agreement that it has a heavy impact to the taste. Quite like it but I drink it with some water.

• Slàinte_Mhath Guest, Member Slàinte_Mhath Joined: 09.10.2016Posts: 134CollectionOslo Whisky ClubRatings: 211
    Options
    Carlton said:

Hopefully you will find the Four Roses Yellow Label and Buffalo Trace more to your liking. Please let me know how it goes.

I have now tasted/tested Four Roses Yellow Label and found it surprisingly good. I will proceed with some bourbon tastings next year (Buffalo Trace, Knob Creek, Woodford Reserve).

Four Roses Yellow Label

Given its very moderate price, this Kentucky Straight Bourbon came as a very pleasant surprise. The nose is delicate and appealing with fruity sweetness, honey and vanilla toffee. Notes of corn syrup, flowers and fennel can be found in the background. Tastewise, Four Roses Yellow Label is gentle and creamy with some alcoholic burn, caramel, orange marmalade and mild spices. Hints of American white oak and black tea characterize the short and restrained finish. Altogether, a very drinkable bourbon, excellent value and certainly a good mixer. Recommended!

RATING: 2.9/5.0 ? 82 pts

That's what I do. I drink, and I know things.” (Tyrion Lannister)

>>> Whisky reviews by Slàinte Mhath <<<

• [Deleted User]
    Topic creator
    Options

@SlàinteMhath

Glad you enjoyed the Four Roses Yellow Label. :smile: