Macallan Double Cask 12 Year Old

• [Deleted User]
    Topic creator
    Joined: 26.08.2016Posts: 0CollectionEmpty Bottle ClubRatings: 160

Any opinions on the new Double Cask 12 Year Old from Macallan? The price is not too high, and, amazingly, it has an age statement. :biggrin:

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets. (Ron Swanson)
  • Maximilien Member Maximilien Joined: 19.01.2016Posts: 16Ratings: 0
    Options
    "Carlton" wrote:
    Any opinions on the new Double Cask 12 Year Old from Macallan? The price is not too high, and, amazingly, it has an age statement. :biggrin:

i guess they have no european casks left, so they will use only refilled amerikano trash

• [Deleted User]
    Topic creator
    Options

The Double Cask is about a 50/50 mix of whisky matured in American oak sherry casks and European oak sherry casks (no ex-bourbon casks). Taste-wise it should fall somewhere between the 12 year old sherry-matured and the 12 year old Fine Oak.

It seems odd that Macallan would come out with a new age-stated whisky in the core range after their big "color is more important than age" marketing push of a few years ago. Perhaps 12 year old stocks are beginning to catch up with demand, but my cynical side tells me that they might be siphoning off more aged stock from the 1824 core range now that it has been out for a couple of years and has already established itself in the marketplace.

• thepeanut Member Joined: 17.08.2015Posts: 37CollectionThePeanuts CollectionRatings: 8
    Options

@Carlton I've just purchased a Macallan Double Cask. It was an immediate yes for me. It's well balanced and wonderful. In my opinion it's definitely worth the money! I was lucky to be able to have a sample taste of the double cask before buying too! 

Whisky Lover, Experiencing new Flavors~
    hwchoy liked that
  • [Deleted User]
    Topic creator
    Options

@thepeanut

Thanks. It is on my short list of what to buy next.