Cask strength entry point

2»
  • Quin Member Quin Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 91Ratings: 0
    Options

I would recommend a Laphroaig if you like peaty malts. Their stills leave a very smooth alcohol and thats very easy to enjoy. Do not forget to keep the malt in your mouth for a very long time. The longer you keep it, the smoother it feels. And dont judge your dram after the first sip and do not give water to it after the first contact. The second sip will be better because your tongue will be prepared now. And again, keep it in your mouth for a long time and make sure that it comes to every possible point in your mouth. 

regards.. ..and sorry for bad english
    toddstevens4 liked that
  • Slàinte_Mhath Guest, Member Slàinte_Mhath Joined: 09.10.2016Posts: 134CollectionOslo Whisky ClubRatings: 211
    Options

Quin said:
    Do not forget to keep the malt in your mouth for a very long time. The longer you keep it, the smoother it feels.

If you do that with a cask strength whisky without any addition of water, you will paralyze your taste buds. After that, you won't be able to appreciate the complexity of a malt. Although some people do drink cask strength whiskies neat, I strongly recommend not to. You are missing an awful lot if you numb your tongue with 55% ABV+.

That's what I do. I drink, and I know things.” (Tyrion Lannister)

>>> Whisky reviews by Slàinte Mhath <<<

toddstevens4 liked that
  • [Deleted User] Joined: 26.08.2016Posts: 0CollectionEmpty Bottle ClubRatings: 160
    Options

Quin said:
    Do not forget to keep the malt in your mouth for a very long time. The longer you keep it, the smoother it feels.
    If you do that with a cask strength whisky without any addition of water, you will paralyze your taste buds. After that, you won't be able to appreciate the complexity of a malt. Although some people do drink cask strength whiskies neat, I strongly recommend not to. You are missing an awful lot if you numb your tongue with 55% ABV+.

A fairly large group of bourbon enthusiasts in the USA seem to think that cask strength is the only way to go. With cask-strength bourbons, we are talking about abv up to 65%+. I think most of these folks could not tell the difference between a high-end and a mid- or even bottom-shelf bourbon at cask strength. I am firmly in the Ralfy camp with regard to adding water (which means I like to add water :lol:smile:.

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets. (Ron Swanson)
    toddstevens4 liked that
  • hwchoy Member hwchoy Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3
    Options

@Carlton

just had a taste of Kavalan Solist Sherry Cask at 58.7% abv.  I still don't like Kavalans, I find this metallic/synthetic odour on the palate which I guess is from the youthfulness.

Zacapa rum matures their new make at their warehouse at 2,300m above sea level, and they stated that this cold and dry weather allows the spirit to mature slowly.

I am of the opinion that you cannot completely replace time with a fast maturation in warm climate.  its like saying we both took 100,000 breaths, but I do it by panting like a dog while you did yours like a yoga master in meditation.

• Slàinte_Mhath Guest, Member Slàinte_Mhath Joined: 09.10.2016Posts: 134CollectionOslo Whisky ClubRatings: 211
    Options

@Carlton
    I couldn’t agree more! I always add at least a few drops of water to my whisky to release the flavor. I don't mind if other malt mates prefere to drink their malts neat or with ice - it's their whisky! However, it's a matter of fact that a high ABV of alcohol numbs the taste buds. Drinking your booze at cask strength to underscore 'your masculinity' is simply foolish.

@hwchoy
    You are certainly right: Intense cask breathing can't entirely replace the influence of years of cask maturation. I recently tasted Kavalan Solist Sherry Cask and fairly enjoyed it. However, I do notice flaws with Kavalan's entry level bottlings.

That's what I do. I drink, and I know things.” (Tyrion Lannister)

>>> Whisky reviews by Slàinte Mhath <<<

• [Deleted User] Joined: 26.08.2016Posts: 0CollectionEmpty Bottle ClubRatings: 160
    Options

@hwchoy

Have you had any of the Amrut bottlings? Maturation length is similar to the Kavalan, so I'm curious whether you picked up the same youthfulness. I didn't, but I usually have one of the better, young US craft whiskeys in my open bottle rotation, so I am probably not as sensitive to the youthfulness.

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets. (Ron Swanson)
  • hwchoy Member hwchoy Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3
    Options

@Carlton

have not tried the Amrut. If I recall correctly they have recently started appearing at the Singapore duty free. But there are so many scotches waiting their turns I doubt I'd get around to Amrut anytime soon.