What bottles to buy

• Vicke2
    Topic creator

Hello im new here.
    I want to invest in some whisky that might be rising in vallue.
    Do you guys have any idea of what is a good investment?
    I found one bottle of glenfiddich 37year botteled 1975 for a good price (i think) in good condition in wooden box.
    There where only 200 made of these so do you think it would be more worth soon? :razz:

Vicke
  • horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

Collecting whisky is no easy task. There are a lot of different influences to consider. I therefore wrote two articles about collecting whiskies. Here they are:

Dou You Collect Malt Whisky?
    and
    Do You want to invest in rare Whisky?

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
  • [Deleted User] Joined: 26.08.2016Posts: 0CollectionEmpty Bottle ClubRatings: 160
    , edited September 18 2016 at 2:30PM
    Options

Being a financial professional, I would not invest in whisky unless I approached it as a hobby (i.e. don't expect to make a profit) or as an isolated "fun" speculation. Losing money on a hobby is something most of us do, but losing a portion of my money to the vagueries of the investment whisky market is not something I want to risk. Of course, you can always drink the whisky if it doesn't earn you the return you expected, which puts it a step ahead of other failed investments. :smile:

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets. (Ron Swanson)
  • Vicke2
    Topic creator
    , edited September 26 2016 at 8:49AM
    Options

Thank you horst_s and Carlton for good advices.
    I think i wont buy much for investment but more like a hobby then and hopefully i will return a little and enjoy some of it :lol:

Vicke
  • cato Member cato Joined: 11.11.2016Posts: 6Collectioncato's CollectionRatings: 6
    , edited November 11 2016 at 6:59PM
    Options

@Vicke2

As others have warned, using the words "investing" and "whisky" in the same sentence is not advised. Buy 'em to drink. If they go up in value and you desire the cash instead of the gold liquid then so-be-it. I was buying very rare bottles in the nineties to drink for a song...ok so I sold a few off recently. A handful of bottles paid for my whole collection. Just dumb luck really.

hwchoy liked that
  • hwchoy Member hwchoy Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3
    Options

as a rule I just buy what I think I will enjoy at a price I think is acceptable, and I have Mr. Lüning's "wonderful" list as a reference as a guide ;-)

but sometimes I do buy out of a sense of adventure, especially when it doesn't call for a large amount of money.

recently when passing through the airport, I came across the Kavalan Solist Moscatel Cask, which they had just placed on the shelf and did not even have the price on display yet.  generally I do not like Kavalans, but the box was impressive and I was looking for something to buy that I could give to a customer when needed.  the impressive box certainly fits the gifting criteria and so I asked about the price.  the staff had to scan the item for the price and it came back as GBP100/-  which I find incredulous since a regularly packaged Kavalan Heavily Peated is priced the same.

So on the strength of the packaging I decided to take one bottle, and as far as I can tell this thing has gone extinct at the airport, and is priced online for GBP300/-.

• Slàinte_Mhath Guest, Member Slàinte_Mhath Joined: 09.10.2016Posts: 134CollectionOslo Whisky ClubRatings: 211
    Options

cato said:
    As others have warned, using the words "investing" and "whisky" in the same sentence is not advised. Buy 'em to drink. If they go up in value and you desire the cash instead of the gold liquid then so-be-it.

You should definitely not start investing in whisky unless you know what you are doing. There is potential - yes. But an the end of the day, whisky is made to be drunk! As a collector, it is certainly tempting to buy a few bottles that you 'keep for later'. These might become bottles to sell in the future - or to open on a special occasion.

I buy whisky to enjoy it and explore the world of flavors. Nevertheless, I bought two bottles that might be considered as investment (Lagavulin 25yr 200th anniversary and Yamazaki 18yr). I have tasted both (from a sample - the bottles are closed) and know they are excellent quality. If I'll open them one day or sell them remains to be seen.

When talking to Diageo's brand ambassador, I was told that all 48 bottles of Lagavulin 25yr assigned to Denmark where bought by 1 person. Beyond doubt an investment, as this bottle is sold out everywhere you look. Still, I find it a bit sad, as there are many people who'd like to taste that wonderful dram. It's a double-edged sword.

That's what I do. I drink, and I know things.” (Tyrion Lannister)

>>> Whisky reviews by Slàinte Mhath <<<

toddstevens4 liked that
  • bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@SlàinteMhath
    I bought several Ardbeg bottles ten years ago because I loved Ardbeg at that time and then I hurt my back and I could not reach these bottles as they were out of reach for me on top of a bookshelf. So I forgot about them. Now I checked out what was hiding there and some of them are quite rarities and worth some money. I bought them for drinking but with the price some people are willing to pay I cannot open them. Also my taste has shifted towards Talisker and Lagavulin instead.

hwchoy liked that
    Options

It is really a problem, when a bottle - originally intended to be consumed in the future - rises extremely in price. If the price rises over the limit you typically set for your buy then I personally feel uncomfortable opening such a bottle.

Most often the opening is delayed for some time just to find out, that the mental problem became bigger instead.

toddstevens4 liked that
  • bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options
    @horst_s

What do you do if you have a bottle that you have bought and then the price goes up so much that you feel that you cannot open it? Do you sell it or leave it in the collection?

Options

@bedlamborn
    My wife sells it ;-) But I was able to keep a very few in my personal collection.