Alternatives to Bunnahabhain 12...

2»
  • hwchoy Member hwchoy Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3
    Options

has any one tried the Glenrothes Vintage Reserver 12 years?

• Absorber Member Joined: 11.11.2015Posts: 12Ratings: 0
    Options

@hwchoy I've had a glass of Glenrothes Vintage Reserve at a tasting once but it carried no age statement.

Didn't enjoy at all anyways, left the spirit in the glass almost untouched as I only needed a small sip to understand this was not my profile of whisky.

• hwchoy Member hwchoy Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3
    Options

@Absorber  thanks. now I can't recall why I got the impression that it is a 12 year old. looking at the information it should be a 9 year old based on the list of vintages.

• kroman
    Topic creator
    Joined: 16.04.2016Posts: 261Collectionkromans CollectionRatings: 21
    Options
    @SlàinteMhath ;

& @Carlton I took your advise and bought the Arran 14!

I just tried a dram today.  If I was to do a blind nosing, the smell (sweet, orange peel with a touch of spicy oak...at least to me) immediately would have made me guess it was a Glenlivet 18!  The palate, however, was not nearly as bitter and oaky (again, at least to my taste buds), which is a good thing in my book.

So anyways, I get more Glenlivet 18 than Bunnahabhain 12, but I'm really enjoying it.  My friend hasn't tried it yet (we'll have some while watching the election), but I think he's gonna like it as much as I do!

Thanks again, guys!

• [Deleted User] Joined: 26.08.2016Posts: 0CollectionEmpty Bottle ClubRatings: 160
    Options

@kroman

Great!

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets. (Ron Swanson)
  • DramTasticVoyage Member DramTasticVoyage Joined: 09.04.2018Posts: 205CollectionDramTasticVoyages CollectionRatings: 4
    Options

So I'm a little late to this party, but i'd still like to throw in my input. I too love the Bunnahabhain 12. Not a fan of smokey scotch but the Bunna has just the right amount. I've been searching for something similar in the lightly peated arena and I'd recommend Highland Park Magnus. I much prefer this over the HP 12 year and it's half the price! Very similar flavor profile to the Bunna. Just the right amount of peat (with a little bit of ham in the background) and a nice crisp finish with sweet undertones. No age statement but it *is* Highland Park and its usually available for under $40 U.S in most areas.

Cheers! 

“I’m a simple man. All I want is enough sleep for two normal men, enough whiskey for three, and enough women for four.” 

~Joel Rosenburg