Aging whiskey in bottles

• pistola2
    Topic creator

I just opened up several boxes of Canadian whiskeys that my father (he passed on in 2004) had stored in his basement. I am guessing most of these bottles go back to the 80's and 90's. Is there a so-called shelf life of these bottled whiskeys? Or do whiskeys simply keep changing (for the better) with age?

There are several brands. Thanks in advance.

• Slàinte_Mhath Guest, Member Slàinte_Mhath Joined: 09.10.2016Posts: 134CollectionOslo Whisky ClubRatings: 211
    Options
    pistola2 said:

I just opened up several boxes of Canadian whiskeys that my father (he passed on in 2004) had stored in his basement. I am guessing most of these bottles go back to the 80's and 90's. Is there a so-called shelf life of these bottled whiskeys? Or do whiskeys simply keep changing (for the better) with age?

There are several brands. Thanks in advance.

Whisky does not necessarily become better with age in a bottle. It's the years in a cask that matter. This is distinctly different from wine if you were refering to that.

However, some blends might improve due to the prolonged marrying process. You should probably just give it a try and - if available - buy the modern equivalent of that whisky. Do a side by side tasting and enjoy that 'blast from the past'.

Slàinte!

That's what I do. I drink, and I know things.” (Tyrion Lannister)

>>> Whisky reviews by Slàinte Mhath <<<