Next step up from Jameson?...

• ablinksum2
    Topic creator

My boyfriends go to whiskey is always Jameson. I bought him a nice decanter for Christmas and want to put a nice whiskey in it for him. Should I stick with good ol' Jameson, or is there another higher up option that he would like more?

• Heidjer Member Heidjer Joined: 05.07.2014Posts: 39CollectionHeidjer's CollectionRatings: 0
    , edited December 16 2014 at 8:31PM
    Options

Depending on what you're willing to pay, I'd go to one of the more expensive Jamesons, the high up choice would be the 18yo, if available.
    Otherwise I'm not that much into Irish whiskey.

And since I see, you're from Boston - you should check out the "whiskybitch" on YouTube. She is a reviewer from Boston and in some videos also has tipps on whisk(e)y in the US and in Boston. She is always talking about Julio's Liquors, which is supposed to have a great range of whiskies available. Maybe you should check that out :wink:

• LiquorList Member LiquorList Joined: 23.03.2015Posts: 11Ratings: 0
    Options
    Did you try the 18 year? What did your friend think of it? I'm rather fond of Jameson's lower priced stuff; that 18 year must be downright magical.
    Look for your next rare beverage at www.LiquorList.com
  • schnazola Guest, Member schnazola Joined: 16.04.2015Posts: 31CollectionSchnaz's EmptiesRatings: 4
    , edited April 17 2015 at 4:13PM
    Options
    "LiquorList" wrote:
    Did you try the 18 year? What did your friend think of it? I'm rather fond of Jameson's lower priced stuff; that 18 year must be downright magical.

Jameson Black Barrel Reserve is pretty damn good, too. It is a far superior whiskey to the entry-level blend in the green bottle with the beige label. Here in the states, it's about ten bucks more -- and totally worth it, IMHO. (That is also the consensus of my whiskey-club members.)

Cheers!

Edited to add: It's properly called "Jameson Select Reserve Black Barrel."

Blanco liked that
  • ablinksum2
    Topic creator
    Options

This time around I stuck with the regular old Jameson. He's recently had the black label version though and loved it! Next up is the 18 year for sure. For flavor and value though, good ol' Jameson seems to be the way to go.

• schnazola Guest, Member schnazola Joined: 16.04.2015Posts: 31CollectionSchnaz's EmptiesRatings: 4
    Options

Right around the same price-point is Powers Irish Whiskey. From what I understand, it outsells Jameson in Ireland. I find it a tad more complex than the regular Jameson.

For a truly remarkable tasting experience that won't bankrupt you, see if you can find Redbreast Single Pot Still Irish Whiskey 12yo. It could be the best IW I've ever had. (I admit, I don't drink much IW, tho.)

There are other expressions of it -- older, cask strength, etc. But they are expensive (for me, at least).

• Neri123 Member Joined: 06.10.2016Posts: 3Ratings: 0
    Options

I prefer Jameson too, but if it's a gift choose something that's more expensive and 18yo!

• WCRamos Member Joined: 19.09.2018Posts: 1Ratings: 0
    Options

@ablinksum2 

Hi brother!!!

I am from Puerto Rico, in the Caribean. I'm new in this matters. Recently I taste Jameson 12 yo and for me is very good, specially for the price ($22).