Glenfarclas

• Gizmo_2
    Topic creator
    Joined: 02.01.2015Posts: 3CollectionGizmos CollectionRatings: 1

Hi Horst -

I really enjoy your videos. I was introduced to Scotch by my father-in-law about 5 years ago (right after I got married). The first Single Malt Scotch I got to try was the Glenfarclas 40. My father-in-law has a really nice collection.

Needless to say I was hooked since then and have been expanding my own collection. I really enjoy both the the Glenfarclas 25 and 40. Are you planning on reviewing the Glenfarclas 40 any time soon?

I also picked up a Glenfarclas Family Casks from 1959, 1962 and 1963. At some point I may open these.

You have often talked about your top 5-10 favorite scotches. Would you mind listing them?

Andy

• ben_2 Guest, Administrator ben_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 271Collectionbens CollectionRatings: 92
    Options

I enjoyed the 25 year old Glenfarclas over the holidays. Very nice stuff.

I work for whisky.com
  • Godslayer Member Godslayer Joined: 11.07.2014Posts: 56CollectionGodslayers CollectionRatings: 0
    Options

I did that as well. I did a side by side by side tasting of the 8/15/25/40 year old farclases. I do enjoy their malts. Really well made and interesting. It's amazing how different they are from each other. As for The preferred malts. He did that in German on hisother youtube account. If you look around he listed his 5 best here. But they were rather obscure and near impossible to obtain bottlings. He also has a video containing his favorite budget malts. <40 euros so sub $75 for us in north america

• Gizmo_2
    Topic creator
    Options

Thanks for the feedback. I noticed that Horst reviewed the Glenfarclas 40 in German. Sadly, I don't understand German. Do you have the direct links to his 5 top single malt scotches or a link to video?

I'm not that concerned with budget as I really like quality. Obviously, I don't want to spend $5K on a bottle, but I am sure some really quality unique scotches on a good budget.

Andy

• Xounlistedxox Member Xounlistedxox Joined: 25.12.2014Posts: 29CollectionMy CollectionRatings: 57
    Options

My first taste of a glenfarclas was their 25 year. It has a very unique flavor character not typical of many of the traditional highland malts. I believe I paid about $129 for the bottle, it's already went up to $159 locally. Scotch is like gasoline, it just keeps going up and up.

• horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options
    "Gizmo" wrote:
    Thanks for the feedback. I noticed that Horst reviewed the Glenfarclas 40 in German. Sadly, I don't understand German. Do you have the direct links to his 5 top single malt scotches or a link to video?

With a little luck I will be able to taste the GF40 this year again in English.

My Top 5? Very difficult to say, because I taste so many different whiskies over the years.

Here is a short list, which I remember immediately:

Lagavulin Distillers' Edition
    Talisker Distiller's Edition
    Older Glendronachs (21yo, Grandeur, 1995)
    Glenfarclas 1993 and other older vintages
    Macallan 18yo (both), Ruby
    Balvenie 21yo Port Wood, 17yo Double Wood
    Dalmore King Alexander, 25yo
    Highland Park 25yo

Unfortunately a lot of my favorites not shown here were limited bottlings.
    I like whiskies which matured in good oak for a longer period. When the distillery character combines well with the oak influence. Sherry and Port casks are very welcome as well as smokiness. But I do not like a too high peat level. 40 to 50ppm is enough.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
  • Gizmo_2
    Topic creator
    Options

Horst -

Thank you so much for the reply and list. I agree 100% on the peat comment. I tried an Ardbeg a few years ago and the peat was too much for me. I was able to enjoy the a dram of the macallan 18 this weekend. Excellent.

Andy