New Member From California

• Xounlistedxox
    Topic creator
    Member Xounlistedxox
    Joined: 25.12.2014Posts: 29CollectionMy CollectionRatings: 57

I swear I was a member of this forum already, but can't seem to find my membership.

Oh well, I'll do a first post anyway.

I have enjoyed whisky for many years now, although not quite as much as I do now. I have whisky from all over, and love nearly all of them. Bourbon from Jack to Pappy, nikka Japanese, crown Canadian, Scotch from J&B to The Glenlivet 1967 Cedar Collection(unopened thus far) from no age statement to 33 years. Nearly purchased to 40 year old single malt this year, but passed when I found out it was an independent bottling. I like frequenting local liquor stores to see what I can find, local bars for tasting, & other tastings when possible. I found an early 80's bottling of The Glenlivet 18, late 90's bottlings of Glen ord 12, a scheifellin and sommerset red & gold label from the 90's etc

• SanctTom Member SanctTom Joined: 19.07.2014Posts: 176Ratings: 0
    Options

Welcome und lots of fun on the forum!

A question out of curiosity:

Why did you decide against the independent bottling? Special reasons like previous experience with the same bottler? In my experience, most independent bottlings are well worth their money - often more so than the orginal bottlings.:confused:

And malt does more than Milton can To justify God's ways to man. (A. E. Housman)
  • Heidjer Member Heidjer Joined: 05.07.2014Posts: 39CollectionHeidjer's CollectionRatings: 0
    Options

Welcome to the Forum!
    Seems like you have some nice bottles there, that's the upside of most of the US not allowing to mail alcohol - you find those old gems. I was lucky myself, when I spent the summer in the US and found 78 and 79 vintage Macallan 18yo for the price of the 95 vintage.

Looking forward to some tasting notes of those old bottlings!

And last but not least I have to concur with Tom that you should try some independent bottlings, as long as you haven't had bad experience with a specific bottler.
    Especiially the big ones like Gordon&Macphail, Signatory Vintage, A.D. Rattray, Adelphi and others are almost always at least worth a try.

• Xounlistedxox
    Topic creator
    Member Xounlistedxox
    Joined: 25.12.2014Posts: 29CollectionMy CollectionRatings: 57
    Options
    "SanctTom" wrote:
    Welcome und lots of fun on the forum!

A question out of curiosity:

Why did you decide against the independent bottling? Special reasons like previous experience with the same bottler? In my experience, most independent bottlings are well worth their money - often more so than the orginal bottlings.:confused:

Thank you,

I was correct in that I was a member previously. I checked my email and I had already joined last year. Not sure what happened to my membership.

I was referring to Kirkland "Glenlivet" 40 year single malt. Since it doesn't say "The Glenlivet" we know it's not from them. I felt it was a bit deceiving putting Glenlivet on a bottle that is not from The Glenlivet. I have tried several independent bottlings from Costco which are typically from Alexander Murray & Co. This includes their 12, 15 Macallan Labeled, 18 & 20 year offerings. While they were good for their price, I wouldn't put them head to head with any other single malt in the same age range.

SanctTom liked that
  • ben_2 Guest, Administrator ben_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 271Collectionbens CollectionRatings: 92
    Options

Welcome to the forum.

I work for whisky.com