Other Great Scotch I've Found at Random Liquor Stores

• Xounlistedxox
    Topic creator
    Member Xounlistedxox
    Joined: 25.12.2014Posts: 29CollectionMy CollectionRatings: 57
    , edited December 31 2014 at 3:39AM

I will always stop by the mom & pop liquor stores to see what they have on the shelves.

Here's a few I've found.

A 1980's bottling of The Glenlivet 18 for $29

A 1990's bottling of Glen Ord 12 for $20

A 1990's bottling of johnnie Walker gold label for $50 this was before diageo

All are exceptional & much better than the modern "equivalent"

• Heidjer Member Heidjer Joined: 05.07.2014Posts: 39CollectionHeidjer's CollectionRatings: 0
    Options

It truly is amazing what you can find on US liquor store shelves. Congrats on those purchases and the prices - wow!

• Xounlistedxox
    Topic creator
    Member Xounlistedxox
    Options

Just snagged this one today

• SanctTom Member SanctTom Joined: 19.07.2014Posts: 176Ratings: 0
    Options

This is what I found after some searching... one of my favourite Single Grain bottlings.

Had opened a bottle and shared it among fellow enthusiasts - and only then realized that it was my last one...:eek:
    ...glad to have found these replacements. :smile:

And malt does more than Milton can To justify God's ways to man. (A. E. Housman)
  • Xounlistedxox
    Topic creator
    Member Xounlistedxox
    Options

Very nice! How was it? Where are you from? We have a super sized liquor store called Total Wine & More out here. Just the single malt section is probably about 60' long. Probably another 20' for Irish whiskey, & 40 more feet for bourbon. It's truly an adult candy store.

Last night I picked up a bottle of Johnnie Walker Platinum for New Years Celebration. It was quite good, I would say it has a place in the JW line up, but I prefer Gold or Green, both of which they discontinued of course.

• SanctTom Member SanctTom Joined: 19.07.2014Posts: 176Ratings: 0
    Options

As I'm from Germany and there were no more bottles of my favourite Port Dundas to be found there (probably due to my talking too much about it in the whisky communities :evil::razz:) I started to look abroad - after scanning through quite a lot of online shops in the UK and the Netherlands I got lucky in Belgium. 8)

And malt does more than Milton can To justify God's ways to man. (A. E. Housman)
  • Xounlistedxox
    Topic creator
    Member Xounlistedxox
    Options
    "SanctTom" wrote:
    As I'm from Germany and there were no more bottles of my favourite Port Dundas to be found there (probably due to my talking too much about it in the whisky communities :evil::razz:) I started to look abroad - after scanning through quite a lot of online shops in the UK and the Netherlands I got lucky in Belgium. 8)

You likely have a much different whisky market than I. I haven't seen port Sunday's anywhere. I'll have to take some pictures of Total Wine & More to give you an idea of our selections in the West US

• Heidjer Member Heidjer Joined: 05.07.2014Posts: 39CollectionHeidjer's CollectionRatings: 0
    Options

Yes, we do have a different market (I'm from Germany, too) due to mail order businesses and eBay. Limited and older bottlings are out of stock pretty fast and resold with lots of profit on eBay. Local liquor stores outside of the big cities usually don't have quality whiskies since they can't equal the online prices.

When I looked for whisk(e)y in the US, I came across Total Wine as well - remarkable selection and prices, unfortunately the nearest one to where I was was to far out for me.

• Xounlistedxox
    Topic creator
    Member Xounlistedxox
    Options
    "Heidjer" wrote:
    Yes, we do have a different market (I'm from Germany, too) due to mail order businesses and eBay. Limited and older bottlings are out of stock pretty fast and resold with lots of profit on eBay. Local liquor stores outside of the big cities usually don't have quality whiskies since they can't equal the online prices.

When I looked for whisk(e)y in the US, I came across Total Wine as well - remarkable selection and prices, unfortunately the nearest one to where I was was to far out for me.

That sounds a lot like what people do here with bourbon. Some bourbon like pappy Van winkle will get bought up instantly then resold for four times the original price or more. It's a shame really because it's good bourbon. I bought a bottle last year & opened it immediately to try it.

• Xounlistedxox
    Topic creator
    Member Xounlistedxox
    , edited January 3 2015 at 4:08AM
    Options

This with the other cabinets makes over 60' of scotch. There was about 40' of bourbon, & another 40' of miscellaneous whisky, so at this total wine there is over 100' of whisky!

Heidjer liked that
  • Xounlistedxox
    Topic creator
    Member Xounlistedxox
    , edited January 3 2015 at 4:08AM
    Options