"Tasting" vs "drinking" + adding ice (I don't like it, am I alone?)

• elmsley4
    Topic creator
    , edited December 25 2014 at 7:29AM

So as I mentioned before, I love Horst's videos, especially his reactions to the good stuff.

Questions:

1) When Horst, as well as other reviewers I respect, pours a dram, it's essentially 3 large sips. I concede there's a difference between "drinking" and "tasting". How do people usually drink their whiskey when they go to a bar? Does Horst go to a bar, order a drink, take 3 large sips and calls it a day?

2) My father-in-law loves single barrel Jack on the rocks. I've tried whisky in the past on the rocks, and to me, the cold whiskey kills almost all the flavor and all I get is mostly burn. While there's no "right or wrong" way to drink whiskey, how do other people enjoy their whiskey?

• Heidjer Member Heidjer Joined: 05.07.2014Posts: 39CollectionHeidjer's CollectionRatings: 0
    , edited December 31 2014 at 2:19PM
    Options

99% of the time, I am tasting. Then it's never more than 6 drams. More would be drinking already (since tasting stops to make sense due to numbing your taste buds with the alcohol), which is no problem, occasionaly. But especially if tasting becomes a hobby you need to keep a certain track of consumption to prevent addiction.

Expensive Single Malts and most expensive Blends and Bourbons are for sipping. Adding ice or soda would only kill the experience, as you found out for yourself already. Adding water, however can shed light on different aspects of a whisk(e)y and open it up, especially high proof bottlings.

So if you don't have one already, get a nosing glass like all the reviewers such as Horst or Ralfy use and enjoy your room temperature dram!

Edit: I first wrote burning your taste buds, but numbing is much more acurate.

• SanctTom Member SanctTom Joined: 19.07.2014Posts: 176Ratings: 0
    Options

Well said, Heidjer!

And malt does more than Milton can To justify God's ways to man. (A. E. Housman)