something to try. spirit blending.

• Godslayer
    Topic creator
    Member Godslayer
    Joined: 11.07.2014Posts: 56CollectionGodslayers CollectionRatings: 0

So something for you guys to try. Perhaps many of you have. I was siping on tomatins cu bucan single malt. (Peated tomatin) I had Bought a 20cl bottle. It's an ok malt. No talisker that's for sure.(Was hoping it would be at that level) so I had maybe 1 cl left in my glass. And found the malt rather closed. I was geting mad.flavours there but I can't find it. Felt closed. So after 5 minutes of nosing. I gave up. I get this a lot with aged tequilas. It was my last drink of the night of two and I looked over and saw a bottle of uno mas tequila. I said screw it. Added between 5-10 ml of liquid tossed on a lid. Rolled her around and waited 10 minutes. I came back and wa. Very happy. The previously boring malt had become exciting. Like a lightly pleated tequila with a malty twist. Loads of citrus and vanilla. Tossed in a blanket of smoke malt and oak. Layered with coffee and spices. It did become slightly bitter. But overall I found it to be significantly more exciting. Not something I'd do with a quality malt. But I may start using my underperforming malts in these creative ways. P.s. I really want to see a lowland malt. Tossed into a first fill tequila barrel. I think that would be exciting. Anyways that's my experiment. Now I'm going to bed.

wb70 liked that
  • Heidjer Member Heidjer Joined: 05.07.2014Posts: 39CollectionHeidjer's CollectionRatings: 0
    Options

Sounds like a great result - I sometimes try blending my malts together (apart from my living bottle). Usually the noses get better results than taste and finsh. But I might start blending Bourbon and malt or I'm definitely going to blend Balcones Brimstone with a peated malt to see the mix of the different styles of smoke.
    I do not have much experience with other quality spirits but this is getting me more interested :lol:

• Godslayer
    Topic creator
    Member Godslayer
    Joined: 11.07.2014Posts: 56CollectionGodslayers CollectionRatings: 0
    Options

Hybrid spirits are slowly gaining way. I've seen A vodka cognac hybrid and a gin rum blend. I know brucladdich blended Irish and scotish malt. (Celtic Nations) it opens the flood gates for new malternatives. Realisticly any first fill malt should be considered a hybrid spirit as a few liters of liquid can remain in the cask. I love adding a tiny amount of rum to my blend experiments. It really helps with rounding. It's amazing. Maybe I should drop my finance career and become a master blender lol.