What to cut my teeth on

• adz2332
    Topic creator

Hi all,
    Im new to this forum and also new to single malts.
    Im 29 (from Australia) and growing up, i have been drinking Johnnie Walker. Mainly ranging from the Green to Blue.

I was introduced not that long ago to singles and i am very much interested in sampling more etc

What are a few mid to lower priced reasonable singles to buy and sample.
    Only want the lower to mid price range right now so i can buy a few and crack open a few!

one that has been recommended to me is the Highland Park 12 Year Old Scotch Whisky.

Thanks
    Adam

• horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

There are a lot of reasonable priced good Single Malt Scotch Whiskies on the market. Highland Park 12Y belongs definitely to those whiskies.

I always say, that there are tier 1, tier 2, and tier 3 distilleries. Most of the entry whiskies of the tier 1 distilleries are worth their money. Try to find whiskies with an age statement or whiskies without an age but finished in special casks (Sherry, Port, Madeira, Marsalla, Bordeaux, Burgundy, Sauternes, ...)

Tier 1 distilleries without the claim to be complete and in no particular order
    Ardbeg (p)
    Bowmore (p)
    Bunnahabhain
    Caol Ila (p)
    Dalmore
    Glendronach
    Glenfarclas
    Glenlivet
    Lagavulin (p)
    Laphroaig (p)
    Macallan
    Talisker (p)

The (p) stands for peated (smoky) whiskies. be carefull, if you do not like smoke in your malt.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
    adz2332 liked that
  • adz2332
    Topic creator
    Options

Thank you!
    Will keep an eye out and have a look over the weekend...

Im from australia, dan murphys is where i buy most of my items from. is there any good cheaper sites online or anything?? or is local the way to go?

• horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

Sorry, I have no insights in the Australian market.

But online is becoming stronger from month to month worldwide. Shipping bottles is not that difficult. But if you have a good local dealer, then you might be happy with its diversity for the next years. But there will be some point in time, when you start to look for more diversity. If you travel, then the duty-free is also an alternative.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
    adz2332 liked that
  • Godslayer Member Godslayer Joined: 11.07.2014Posts: 56CollectionGodslayers CollectionRatings: 0
    Options

Highland park 12
    Talisker 10
    Bowemore laimrng or tempest 10
    Arbeg ugidiual
    old pultney 12
    Glenlivet 12
    glendronach 12
    Macallan 12 if you can find it.
    Glenkinchie for a low land malt

adz2332 liked that