NEW MACALLAN RARE CASK $300

• reallydog
    Topic creator

Macallan just released a new none age statement whisky, rare cask. Anyone tried or heard anything good or bad about it?

• SanctTom Member SanctTom Joined: 19.07.2014Posts: 176Ratings: 0
    Options

No, haven't tried it yet - and probably never will...:rolleyes:
    The recent Macallan bottlings have in my opinion never been worth the demanded price, so I will most probably pass up on this one as well.
    If you haven't read it before, this is what Macallan published concerning the new expression:

This new offering from The Macallan is 100% matured in sherry oak casks, hand-selected to create a whisky that is exceptionally dark and rich.
    RARE CASK brings together two of the most important pillars of The Macallan: the natural color and the sherry-seasoned oak casks. This single malt whisky showcases the full spectrum of natural color, giving the whisky its classic Macallan character.

750ml – 43.0% ABV
    * Available September 2014
    Extremely limited – first come first served
    And malt does more than Milton can To justify God's ways to man. (A. E. Housman)
  • Godslayer Member Godslayer Joined: 11.07.2014Posts: 56CollectionGodslayers CollectionRatings: 0
    Options

Isn't their fine and rare stuff normally 5k plus. I tend to agree with the previous post. Macallam has fallen slightly. I've tried sienna and below. None of them were as good as the 12 sienna was close but felt rougher. Like you added a teaspoon of new make spirit to the ounce. I really really miss their cask strength release. It was an amazing dram. I'd skip it and save your pennies for a different dram. Glendronach has proven itself a great substitute. At a fraction of the price the 12-15 5 year olds are excellent sherried malts. Both easily worth 90 points. I got the 12 year old for a measly $45 making it probably the best value sherry bomb to be had. That being said this dram you mention could be excellent but if it isn't excellent it isn't worth $300.

• reallydog
    Topic creator
    Options

Totally agree with you guys on whats happening with macallan. I also go with glendronach now, love the single cask releases. For some reason I feel like this bottle mayhave some potential, but prob more like hoping. I will wait and see what others say about before deciding.

Cheers

• ben_2 Guest, Administrator ben_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 271Collectionbens CollectionRatings: 92
    Options

Yes making no-age releases is one thing, but taking a price for a 30-40 year old whisky is another.

I work for whisky.com
  • reallydog
    Topic creator
    Options

By the way guys its not that good. The standard 18 is better in my opinion.