Top 5 distilleries

• Godslayer
    Topic creator
    Member Godslayer
    Joined: 11.07.2014Posts: 56CollectionGodslayers CollectionRatings: 0

Easy enough question. What are your top 5 world distilleries or brands of malt( say you like chivas for example)

Min would be in no paricullar order.

1. Highland park ( introduced me to more complex flavours and in my opinion produced some of the most consistent high quality malts) I've never had one I'd score below a 80.

2. Glenmorangie. They really know how to use wood in creative ways and their 10/18 year old malts are wonderful even without fancy finishes.

3. Lagavullin. Prince of islay

4. Woodford reserve. The best bourbon money can buy.

5. Glen Breton glenora distillieries. A speysider from Canada. Wonderful at about 15 years. They also do a magnificent ice wine finish. The 15 year old ice wine finish may be my favorite malt.... Now if only I could get a second bottle.

• ben_2 Guest, Administrator ben_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 271Collectionbens CollectionRatings: 92
    Options

Hmmm...:rolleyes:

I would say:

1. Ardbeg

2. Macallan

3. Lagavulin

4. Edradour
    (just recently)
    5. Aberlour
    (just recently)

I work for whisky.com
  • Quin Member Quin Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 91Ratings: 0
    Options

Lagavulin
    Macallan
    Balvenie
    Balblair
    Tomintoul

No special order because it "daily" variies.

regards.. ..and sorry for bad english
  • Donderladdich_2 Member Donderladdich_2 Joined: 13.07.2014Posts: 14Ratings: 0
    Options

In alphabetical order:

Ardbeg
    Glendronach
    Laphroaig
    Springbank
    Talisker

cheers, Patrick
  • Corso_theRed Member Corso_theRed Joined: 03.08.2014Posts: 11Ratings: 0
    Options

1. Glendronach
    2. Benrinnes
    3. Benriach
    4. Longmorn
    5. Glenfarclas

• reallydog Member Joined: 06.08.2014Posts: 11Ratings: 0
    Options

1. Springbank

2. Bowmore

3. Macallan

4. Ardbeg

5. Brora

• ASWhisky Member Joined: 07.07.2014Posts: 26Ratings: 0
    , edited January 25 2015 at 10:41AM
    Options

• Godslayer
    Topic creator
    Member Godslayer
    Joined: 11.07.2014Posts: 56CollectionGodslayers CollectionRatings: 0
    Options
    "ASWhisky" wrote:
    Ardbeg / somewhere near by perfection
    Talisker / always the right decision
    Port Ellen / like an adventure
    Karuizawa / deep, mysterious, erotic
    Brora / delicate noblesse

You have incredibly elusive tastes. To be honest I'm a little jealous. I've never sampled those last three. I want to though.

ASWhisky liked that
  • SanctTom Member SanctTom Joined: 19.07.2014Posts: 176Ratings: 0
    Options

Even though I like quite a lot of "special" whisky like some Lochsides, Port Ellens or especially St.Magdalenes and Dallas Dhu, I'd rather name some "regular" distilleries as my favourites:

Blair Athol
    Caol Ila
    Glen Grant / Caperdonich (can't really decide :roll:smile:
    Glen Moray
    Scapa

Not necessarily in that order... but I really like the malts these distilleries produce - not every bottling is brilliant, but in the end I always have good times with their stuff! :smile:

And malt does more than Milton can To justify God's ways to man. (A. E. Housman)
  • Budgerigar_canalis Member Budgerigar_canalis Joined: 18.07.2014Posts: 50Ratings: 0
    Options
    1. Ardbeg

It's THE peaty malt for me. Perfect smokiness and sweetness. The Corryvreckan is my favorite of the whiskies I've got at home regularly. What a force of nature...
    2. Talisker
    As ASWhisky has put it: always the right decision. Nice, but not overpowering peat and lots of spice. The best whisky I've tried up to now was the Talisker 1994 Manager's Choice.
    3. Benriach
    They have such a diverse range, and almost all they do is at least good. I love the Solstice, but the wood finishes and the Fumosus series are nice, too.
    4. Springbank/Longrow
    I like the Springbank malts, but I love the heavily peated Longrow stuff. I definitely hve to try more of that.
    For number five I'd like to make a little prediction of the future: If Kilchoman continue doing such a great work, they're bound to make it on my list. Their malts are already very good, although they're still young. Definitely a distillery to watch.

• Unknown Joined: -Ratings:
    , edited November 18 2014 at 1:19PM
    Options
    1. Arran
    2. Springbank
    3. Bruichladdich
    4. Macallan
    5. Imperial

It's pretty hard to decide on only five distilleries.