suggested spirits? besides whisky/whiskey

• Godslayer
    Topic creator
    Member Godslayer
    Joined: 11.07.2014Posts: 56CollectionGodslayers CollectionRatings: 0

So when you are looking for something besides whisky to drink what do you typically look for? What do you consider some fine spirits/wine/beer.

I generally go for an aged tequila corzo being my favorite or if I want a beer unibroue or
    Erdinger, or anything from harvenstions. Their ola dubh series holds a special place in my heart.

• ben_2 Guest, Administrator ben_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 271Collectionbens CollectionRatings: 92
    Options

Last week I enjoyed two sorts of sherry. I just wanted to know how the true flavour of sherry and not just in a single malt maturation.

The first one was very dry and tasted a bit soapy. I couldn't finish the glass. I don't know how you can enjoy this stuff.

The second one was a very sweet pedro ximenez (px). I expected a lot more sweetness from the px. I always imagined it to be to sweet to drink, like eating tablespoons of raw sugar. However this stuff was actually quite nice. Compared to a whisky it was very, very fruity and sweet. But also I was missing the influence of the barrel.
    The the resume for the sherry would be: yes, nice to enjoy if you like it fruity, but definitely not on a regular basis.

I work for whisky.com
  • Quin Member Quin Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 91Ratings: 0
    Options

Only Beer. But I have to stop that a bit now. I was "a bit" more during the world cup. :wink:

regards.. ..and sorry for bad english
  • ASWhisky Member Joined: 07.07.2014Posts: 26Ratings: 0
    , edited January 25 2015 at 10:56AM
    Options
  • Donderladdich_2 Member Donderladdich_2 Joined: 13.07.2014Posts: 14Ratings: 0
    Options

Beer (which is not a spirit 8))

Apart from that:

Gin (and tonic)
    Grappa
    Swiss/German regional Schnapps (fruit brandy)

but overall, the whisky does not leave much space for other spirits :wink:

cheers, Patrick
    ASWhisky liked that
  • ben_2 Guest, Administrator ben_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 271Collectionbens CollectionRatings: 92
    Options
    "Donderladdich" wrote:
    but overall, the whisky does not leave much space for other spirits :wink:

:biggrin: !!!

I work for whisky.com
  • Heidjer Member Heidjer Joined: 05.07.2014Posts: 39CollectionHeidjer's CollectionRatings: 0
    Options

I tried Cognac and Dark Rum. Haven't had really expensive ones so far but all of them had an interesting nose. One of the Rums was even really nice on the palate, while being very affordable.

In the non-distilled alcoholic beverages section I like different styles of Beer and red wine. Also I'm trying different styles of fortified wines to know what they are doing with the Whisky, similar to what Ben said. I had a Fino Sherry so far which I also thought was disgusting and a blend of PX and Oloroso which was quite nice. The Ruby Port I tried was dangerously drinkable, quite tasty.

All in all I can however agree to the others who said that Whisky doesn't leave much room. Don't wanna become an addict!

ben_2 liked that
  • Helgo Member Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 7Ratings: 0
    Options

Gin as well. My girlfriend is collecting this little juniper berry stuff like hell:wink:

ASWhisky liked that
  • SanctTom Member SanctTom Joined: 19.07.2014Posts: 176Ratings: 0
    Options

Most of the time I don't care for other spirits, though I sometimes during hot summer nights I drink aged rum rather than whisky. 8)
    There are some very nice beers out there, but I try not to acquire a fancy for them as much as I did for whisky...:redface:

And malt does more than Milton can To justify God's ways to man. (A. E. Housman)
  • Budgerigar_canalis Member Budgerigar_canalis Joined: 18.07.2014Posts: 50Ratings: 0
    Options

I don't drink any other spirits besides whisky at home. At parties I might drink the occasional Jägermeister, or some schnapps a friend might offer after dinner, but that's about it. The only other alcoholic beverage I drink at home is beer. And it has to be bitter/heavy on hops. My favorite type of beer is “Pils“. I don't like sweet beer. I only look for malt sweetness in whisky. :smile:

ben_2 liked that
  • Corso_theRed Member Corso_theRed Joined: 03.08.2014Posts: 11Ratings: 0
    Options

Rum, Cognac, and Armagnac offer incredible enjoyment. Since I don't have similar experience with them, as I have with whisky, I'm always eager to Serge Valentin's "Malternative" section on Whiskyfun.com

I bought a few bottling like that and was thoroughly surprised!

Beer has become rather boring to me, although I know that craft beers can be good. Wine is also rather unrewarding, as they all taste way to similar IMO.