Topic creator

Hello everyone,
    Sorry if my english´s not good, im portuguese :smile:

anyone knows the year, how much?

Ty
    Best regards

• horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

I can't tell you the year of production. But for whisky only the years in the cask (corrected) count. You may have a thirty years old bottle but the whisky stays three years old. Because only the contact with oak wood counts for the age.

The price is therefore as high as the bottles cost today. Collectors are not looking for Blended Whisky. Just Single Malt Whisky.

But the bottle is old. So you should open it together with elder relatives in an evening and have a look back in time.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
  • Freecall Member Joined: 13.10.2016Posts: 1Ratings: 0
    Options
    "horst_s" wrote:
    I can't tell you the year of production. But for whisky only the years in the bottle count. You may have a thirty years old bottle but the whisky stays three years old. Because only the contact with oak wood counts for the age.

The price is therefore as high as the bottles cost today. Collectors are not looking for Blended Whisky. Just Single Malt Whisky.

But the bottle is old. So you should open it together with elder relatives in an evening and have a look back in time.

With your encyclopedic knowledge far be it from me to correct but I think you mean 'years in the cask count' rather than bottle.

slainte

• Slàinte_Mhath Guest, Member Slàinte_Mhath Joined: 09.10.2016Posts: 134CollectionOslo Whisky ClubRatings: 211
    Options
    "inesalves" wrote:
    anyone knows the year, how much?

Bell's is bottom shelf Blended Scotch that I wouldn't even mix with Coca Cola. Your bottle is a 'blast from the past' without any intrinsic value.

If I were you, I'd probably buy a small sample of todays Bell's Original (no more than 35 cl, it's a horrible pour!) and compare if the old version was any better.

Although Horst is certainly right that only years in the cask are important (it's not the same as with wine!), some decades in a bottle can have some effect, especially for blends. I refer to ralfy's tasting vlog of Johnnie Walker Red Label where he compares the modern Red Label with a dram from the 1970's. Very interesting.

However, I guess your question was intended to find out if your bottle is of any monetary value and the answer is:

No.

That's what I do. I drink, and I know things.” (Tyrion Lannister)

>>> Whisky reviews by Slàinte Mhath <<<

• horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options
    "Freecall" wrote:
    With your encyclopedic knowledge far be it from me to correct but I think you mean 'years in the cask count' rather than bottle.

Thx for the correction. You are of course right.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com