Longmorn is the new Mortlach

• [Deleted User]
    Topic creator
    Joined: 26.08.2016Posts: 0CollectionEmpty Bottle ClubRatings: 160

Seen the prices for the new Longmorn expressions? List for a 750 ml bottle is $189 for the 16 year old and $1,087 for the 23 year old. I don't think the rollout of the luxury Mortlach expressions went as well as Diageo had hoped, so it will be interesting to see how Chivas does with these.

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets. (Ron Swanson)
  • hwchoy Member hwchoy Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3
    Options
    "Carlton" wrote:
    Seen the prices for the new Longmorn expressions? List for a 750 ml bottle is $189 for the 16 year old and $1,087 for the 23 year old. I don't think the rollout of the luxury Mortlach expressions went as well as Diageo had hoped, so it will be interesting to see how Chivas does with these.

exactly as predicted by Horst, they will reintroduce the 16 year and double the price. I'm not bloody paying that kind of money when there are reasonably priced drams like Aberlour 15 years around.

• horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

This is just a matter of marketing. Roughly 1% of the western population does not have to care about money at all. And 0,5% of the population likes single malt whisky.

1bn*1%*0.5% = 50'000

If you can launch a bottle which attract attention by the 'rich' single malt lovers you can ask for any price. There are some Ardbegs out there or very old Lagavulins and Bowmores. Selling prices of thousands do not matter. They are all immediately sold.

From my point of view the new Mortlach series did not earn what they paid for in terms marketing. Georgie Bell (Ex Miss Mortlach) left the team some weeks ago.

I think, that Longmorn is not in the position to ask for these prices. Even less than Mortlach was.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
  • hwchoy Member hwchoy Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3
    Options

at least the Dalmores have an impressive stag on the bottles to justify the price. :wink:

• Carbon111 Member Carbon111 Joined: 20.07.2016Posts: 4CollectionCarbon111s CollectionRatings: 0
    , edited October 18 2016 at 10:13PM
    Options

No surprise about the new Mortlachs, especially seeing that the Mortlach "Fine Old" NAS expression is pretty rough. disappointed 
    I'm just glad I still have some Flora & Fauna 16 left!

Carlton said: