Slàinte from Norway!

• Slàinte_Mhath
    Topic creator
    Guest, Member Slàinte_Mhath
    Joined: 09.10.2016Posts: 134CollectionOslo Whisky ClubRatings: 211

Hei!

I am a whisky enthusiast, reviewer and member of Oslo Whisky Club. Although my main focus is on Scotch Single Malt, I am also very fond of Japanese whiskies.

In our club, we review and discuss a new whisky every 1-2 weeks. The essence of our discussions can be found in my tasting notes, although I must stress that these are just opinions. I am not an expert, by no means.

My favorite distilleries are Lagavulin and Yamazaki. Having visited Yamazaki this summer, I was impressed by their dedication and aim for perfection. The only thing that gave me a real headache was the Japanese way of drinking whisky. It was a tough fight to drink it neat or with a drop of water, without fancy ice cubes.

You might wonder how Norwegians can afford to drink whisky. Yes, we can only purchase liquor in our state-run 'Vinmonopolet' but the taxation on alcohol has its strongest effect on cheap spirits. If you are interested in quality malts, the additional taxes are more or less the same as the profit margin of a common retailer in Europe. It's all about quality, not quantity, as my colleague Ralfy Mitchell likes to point out.

I am looking forward to discuss with you and share the joy that a good dram offers!

Skål!

Slàinte Mhath

That's what I do. I drink, and I know things.” (Tyrion Lannister)

>>> Whisky reviews by Slàinte Mhath <<<

bedlamborn liked that
  • horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

Thx for the topic. I travelled Norway in 2015 up to North Cape. And I found out as well, that the prices of high quality spirits drinks are high but not that high as I expected.

The tax is 25EUR (28US$) for a 0,7l bottle.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
  • bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

Skål och välkommen! :biggrin:

Prices are high in Norway and Sweden but Norway is more expensive than Sweden. But the price of high quality whisky is not as bad as the price of low quality whisky.