Glenfarclas 12 yo, where to next?

• bedlamborn
    Topic creator
    Member bedlamborn
    Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21

I have tried the Glenfarclas 12 yo and I found it to be a decent and good whisky but I wish that it was more complex. How are the older Glenfarclas such as the 15, 17 and 18 yo compared to the 12 yo?

• SuperDrams Member Joined: 20.11.2015Posts: 12Ratings: 30
    Options

Ive tried the 15, 21 and 25yo. The 21 yo was definitely more complex than the 12 and very pleasant, however the 15yo was not great for me. A bit sulphury from memory.

No logo on the foam!
  • horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options
    "bedlamborn" wrote:
    I have tried the Glenfarclas 12 yo and I found it to be a decent and good whisky but I wish that it was more complex. How are the older Glenfarclas such as the 15, 17 and 18 yo compared to the 12 yo?

The 12yo turns out to be a little to sharp in terms of oakiness. The older expressions are smoother and more intense, because they contain more 1st fill Sherry casks.

Please have a look at the Glendronach 12yo. It is in the same price range and shows more Sherry casks as well.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
  • X_dwhisky Member X_dwhisky Joined: 15.04.2016Posts: 16CollectionX_d's CollectionRatings: 56
    Options

I d like to recommend Balvenie 12 single cask fist fill. It is a kind of similar style, but different in details.

Also, if you want to try something different. Dalmore 12 (dark theme highland single malt), springbank 10 (freshing style with specific flavour outstanding), Ardbeg 10 (Peat smoke), etc. are also good chioce for new comers.

• bedlamborn
    Topic creator
    Member bedlamborn
    Options
    "horst_s" wrote:
    Please have a look at the Glendronach 12yo. It is in the same price range and shows more Sherry casks as well.

I looked on your video reviews for Glendronach and that distillery definitely sound interesting. Will travel to London at the end of November and I will then buy Glendronach tasting set (3x5cl, 12, 15, 18 yo) so I can try the different age statements. Since the 15yo is not available right now it is an interesting small set of whisky.

• bedlamborn
    Topic creator
    Member bedlamborn
    Options

I had the pleasure of enjoying the Glendronach 12y at a pub yesterday and it was foe me better than the Glenfarclas 12y. So thanks for the tip Mr Luening. Now my next whiskies will be the Glendronach 18y and Glenfarclas 17y. At the same pub they have the 18y Glendronac while I bought a smaller bottle of the Glenfarclas 17yo.