A newbie for peat, asking for next dram

• X_dwhisky
    Topic creator
    Member X_dwhisky
    Joined: 15.04.2016Posts: 16CollectionX_d's CollectionRatings: 56
    , edited September 28 2016 at 6:03PM

Hello maestros, I'm here for asking about which bottle I need to buy next.

Actually I can't understand peat before. But after i tried several light-peated (Longrow 10yo), middle-peated (Kilchoman Machir bay). Now I can understand and enjoy them.

Then, I want to have my next bottle. But I can't make decision on several of them. And they are mainly in two levels.

Middle-class: Kilchoman Loch Gorm,
    Ardbeg Urgedail,
    Corryvreckan
    Talisker Distiller's Edition

Higher-middle class:
    Kilchoman single sherry cask reserve for China single malt club,
    Lagavulin Distiller's Edition,
    and Ardbeg Perpetuum Normal Edition

Oh...by the way, if you think any bottles are even better than these stuff. Please feel free to tell me. Appreciate!

Thanks so much for all of your recommends!

• [Deleted User] Joined: 26.08.2016Posts: 0CollectionEmpty Bottle ClubRatings: 160
    Options

Of the bottles you have listed, I would go with the Ardbeg Uigeadail. Several of your selections have some ex-sherry casks in the mix, so I would also recommend that you take a look at Lagavulin Distiller's Edition.

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets. (Ron Swanson)
    Carbon111 liked that
  • rainbow79 Member Joined: 27.09.2016Posts: 12Ratings: 0
    Options

What about a simple but wonderful Talisker 10? Haven't you considered it before moving into the highly peated Islay ones? It's one of my favourites drams and good value for money?

• X_dwhisky
    Topic creator
    Member X_dwhisky
    Options
    "rainbow79" wrote:
    What about a simple but wonderful Talisker 10? Haven't you considered it before moving into the highly peated Islay ones? It's one of my favourites drams and good value for money?

Ahhh! Yes, actually I have just finished my second bottle of Talisker 10. I also love it so much. But I'm looking forward to try some advanced products in peated whiskies, so maybe Talisker Distillers Edition?

• X_dwhisky
    Topic creator
    Member X_dwhisky
    Options
    "Carlton" wrote:
    Of the bottles you have listed, I would go with the Ardbeg Uigeadail. Several of your selections have some ex-sherry casks in the mix, so I would also recommend that you take a look at Lagavulin Distiller's Edition.

Thank you for your recommendation. But could you tell me your reason in choosing Uigeadail?

Also, I ve saw Lagavulin DE are highly rated in every websites for every versions. I ll add it into the list. Thanks again.

Carbon111 liked that
  • rainbow79 Member Joined: 27.09.2016Posts: 12Ratings: 0
    Options

Although I don't have it with me, I had the opportunity to try the Uigeadail and it's marvelous with that influence from the sherry. So if you definitely want to go for a good Islay one, and the budget is ok, then go for Uigeadail. Talisker DE is a good dram too, but I would say it's even a bit less peatied than the 10 yo.

• SavageHenry Member SavageHenry Joined: 14.04.2016Posts: 16CollectionAll the whiskies in IraqRatings: 3
    Options

The Lagavulin D.E is a splendid, complex peated whisky. I'd echo the recommendation for that from your list.

The Ardbergs are peaty to the point of undrinkable to my tastebuds, and I like peated malts - but only so far. Leave them to last.

• [Deleted User] Joined: 26.08.2016Posts: 0CollectionEmpty Bottle ClubRatings: 160
    Options
    "X_dwhisky" wrote:
    "Carlton" wrote:

Thank you for your recommendation. But could you tell me your reason in choosing Uigeadail?

Also, I ve saw Lagavulin DE are highly rated in every websites for every versions. I ll add it into the list. Thanks again.

My motivation for the Uigeadail is that it contains some ex-sherry-matured whisky in the mix. I avoid the Ardbeg special releases on principle: I think they are over-hyped and over-priced. Ardbeg has a great standard range of bottlings; the special releases are always trying to put a new spin on a very assertive whisky that is going to taste (mostly) the same no matter what they do to it.

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets. (Ron Swanson)
  • horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

I would also add the Talisker Distillers' Edition to your list. The hefty spice combines with the Sherry in a wounderful way.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com