Help with Port Cask Finish choice

• mtbrider1970
    Topic creator
    Member mtbrider1970
    Joined: 26.09.2016Posts: 3CollectionKev's CollectionRatings: 0

Hi,

Although not new to Whisky I am definitely no expert and would like some advice on a few Whisky's if people have tried them.

My preference is peaty, smoky and probably Islay whisky. My go to bottle is Lagavulin 16yr, a Laphroaig or the current Bowmore small batch although I am open to all and have bought and tried Japanese(Hibiki Harmony and White Oak Akashi, sherry cask limited 900 bottling) and Indian Whisky.

At Whisky Live in London this year I tried the Laphroaig Brodir Port Cask and although a NAS I thought it was great. However this is a less affordable whisky and am looking for advice or alternatives.

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/laphroaig/laphroaig-brodir-whisky/?srh=1

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/talisker/talisker-port-ruighe-whisky/?srh=1

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/glenmorangie/glenmorangie-the-quinta-ruban-12-year-old-whisky/?srh=1

I have watched the Whisky.com reviews but have only tried the Laphroaig Brodir. I guess my question is should I buy one of the other two or bite the bullet at double the price and get the Brodir before they all disappear?
    I would add I don't tend to save any whisky regardless of price but share and savour it.
    Any advice welcome,
    Regards,
    Kev

• kroman Member Joined: 16.04.2016Posts: 261Collectionkromans CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

Hey Kev, Kevin here!

I have had the Glenmorangie, and actually bought the Port Ruighe last week while in Europe! Although I've only had one glass of the Talisker so far (I'll be writing a review when I'm almost done with it), I can give you my opinion on both bottles so far.

The Quinta Ruban is unpeated (of course) and much smoother and easier to drink. This is a very dangerous scotch; you could easily drink two drams (or more!) and not give it a second thought. This is a great scotch to introduce to the whisky newcomer.

Port Ruighe...I definitely noticed the fruitiness of the port as soon as I opened the bottle; more so than with the Glenmorangie. I was initially surprised because I didn't notice the smoke as much as with the other Taliskers I've had. Maybe I've become immune to the smoke, the bottle needs to open up a little, or the port was that strong, but I actually had to SEARCH for the smoke! This bottle also seemed way spicier than any other Talisker I've had; the "chili catch" was strong with this glass!!! The finish was warm and VERY mouthwatering.

In short: the Glenmorangie is the girl you want to bring home to mom and marry, while the Talisker is the exotic girl you want to have a one night stand with 8)! Both are good options,but if the two were next to each other at the liquor store, I would go with the Talisker.

mtbrider1970 liked that
  • rainbow79 Member Joined: 27.09.2016Posts: 12Ratings: 0
    Options

Hi,

I also have the Port Ruighe, and it's quite addictive :lol: . It has that sweetness coming from the Port casks that make it a wonderful dram at that price, even being a NAS. Go for it, you won't regret.

Regards

mtbrider1970 liked that
  • mtbrider1970
    Topic creator
    Member mtbrider1970
    , edited September 27 2016 at 8:42PM
    Options

Hi Kev(Kroman) and Rainbow79,

My first post on this forum and straight away two really helpful answers, just what I was looking for, many thanks to you both and great reviews by the way. I look forward the your full review Kev:biggrin:
    I would really like to pick up a bottle of Brodir and I know it will be inevitable however I know it will be too tempting sat in the cupboard and at just under £100 it's not that affordable.

However really pleased you both like the Port Ruighe as that is the one I was tempted to buy. I know the Glenmorangie gets great reviews and Horst gave a good video account as well but I really wanted to try the Talisker.

Mind made up then, I'll order the Talisker first:smile:

Many thanks for your assistance.
    Regards,
    Kev

Options

Well....if you see, it was my first post too :smile: , so happy to contribute a bit. If you were closer to me I could have sent you a sample of the Port Ruighe, but I'm afraid Spain is a bit far from you. Anyway, as I said, happy to help.

• mtbrider1970
    Topic creator
    Member mtbrider1970
    Options

Hi Rainbow79,

I have ordered the Port Ruighe from master of malt along with a sample of Laphroaig Brodir and I am expecting a delivery Saturday:smile:.

On the way home from work today I also picked up a Glenmorangie A Midwinter Night's Dram which was on offer. Review to follow.
    Cheers,
    Kev

IMG_0038.JPG 93.6K
    hwchoy liked that
    Options

wow, it really doesn't look like a bad day at all....hehehe. Let us know your thoughts on all of them. I've just had now a dram of the Port Ruighe, and....man.....it's really enjoyable..... :smile: I add a bit of water to this one, and not only the taste, the smell is also really good. I normally don't add water to the 10yo, but I do to this one. I guess probably because of being a NAS....not so smooth as the 10