Recommended pricier malts

• Godslayer
    Topic creator
    Member Godslayer
    Joined: 11.07.2014Posts: 56CollectionGodslayers CollectionRatings: 0

So my birthday and university graduation are coming up and I am looking to procure 2-3 special bottles, one to celebrate my birth and the other to celebrate my graduation.... I was going to buy a bottle of dom perrigion but decided the $200 would be better spent on an older special malt. Normally I don't play in that sort of a price range, my oldest bottling being coleburn 25, which I got for $150 followed by HP18, I also normally dont ask, but I would hate to plop down 2-300 dollars and go well this only qualifies as a mix, right now I am looking at glenmorangie signet, macallan ruby, HP25, talisker 25, tullibardine 25( a rarity as its 25 and under 200) mainly because they are all whiskys with good repuations and seem to be special amongst their peers. the other alternative would be glenglaush rare cask collection, but that would eat up all of my budget for celebratory whiskies and would be my sole purchase.

• SanctTom Member SanctTom Joined: 19.07.2014Posts: 176Ratings: 0
    Options

I haven't tried Macallan Ruby or the Tullibardine 25 yet - I still haven't "forgiven" Macallan for changing their product line :wink:. I tried quite a few older (20+ years old) Tullibardines, which I liked indeed, but they all were at cask strength, so I don't really know how Tullibardine presents itself at lower strengths.
    As for the other three malts: All of them are very good and, in my opinion, worth the price they're offered at (in Europe). Even though Signet is an NAS bottling you get a very good taste experience with hint at not too young an age (Have to admit being an Glenmorangie fan, though :oops:smile:. Talisker 25 and HP 25 are really great, but in Europe they range a whole price category higher than the Signet. If possible, head for the older bottlings here (Talisker with cask strength instead of 45.8%, HP with 48,1% or more - if you are lucky, you might get them at almost the same price, but in my opinion they are (depending of the versions) significantly better than the recent bottlings).

Having said all that - I can't really recommend one over the other - it will depend on your preferences in taste (which I don't know - yet :wink:smile: and the availability in Canada, but I sure hope that you find something that will fit the very special occasion!

And malt does more than Milton can To justify God's ways to man. (A. E. Housman)
  • ASWhisky Member Joined: 07.07.2014Posts: 26Ratings: 0
    , edited January 25 2015 at 10:50AM
    Options
  • Donderladdich_2 Member Donderladdich_2 Joined: 13.07.2014Posts: 14Ratings: 0
    Options

ASWhisky,

you know I love your tasing notes :redface:

I am sitting in a boring meeting - so I took your notes from whiskybase, put it into a online translating tool, did some finetuning - and I guess the result is not too bad:

Nose:
    Cherry jam, sea water in puddles, a beach after a warm summer rain, the smell of beach cloves, pepper and juniper berries,
    damp floatsam, wet wood, salty humid air, wet sand

Taste

First quite nutty with chocolate and fruit, vanilla and hay flowers.
    When swallowing it, a warm fire runs over the tongue, soft and cuddly.
    On the palate and in the throat a - wow - intense chilli catch appears, that flows smoky throug the mouth

Finish

Medium to long.
    Dark chocolate, lots of malt with the typical clover sweetness of Talisker.
    A wonderful Talisker finish that keeps coming back.

Comments

This Talisker (exceptionally) can use some water.
    In the mouth it opens up better and becomes more complex, soft, deep.
    The finish is getting more subtle and smooth... salt, lots of malt sweetness and beautiful clover ... and now comes the smoke and tobacco and the finish is long

Actually I recommend to add some water to this one.

that's a very special 25y ...
    yes, I'm in heaven

cheers, Patrick
    ASWhisky liked that
  • Quin Member Quin Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 91Ratings: 0
    Options

I had a sample of the Macallan Ruby and i would never spend so much money to buy a whole bottle. I was REALLY fruity. A bit too much in my opinion. I can't have a look at my notes atm, but if i remember correctly, then there was a very strong note of cherry. But thats just my taste. Of course its crafted well and not a bad whisky.

Tbh i would never buy very picy bottles without having a sample before. You will feel worried if you spend so much "once in a lifetime" and then its not a good whisky for you.

regards.. ..and sorry for bad english
    , edited January 25 2015 at 10:49AM
    Options
  • Godslayer
    Topic creator
    Member Godslayer
    Options

Talisker 2001 may be impossible to find here, we have no online retailers in canada, trust me, I would kill for a whiskyexchange/master of the malt type of set up. I am leaning towards talisker, simply because the 10 year old has grown on me and I can get highland park 25 year old at a bar where as talisker 25 is slightly less popular and harder to find.

Options

Don't worry if the Talisker 25 you can get your hands on is not the one bottled in 2001. Event though I honestly acknowledge that aswhisky is an expert on those bottlings, the differences between the different bottlings are so slight on such a high level that you can't go wrong with any Talisker 25!

And malt does more than Milton can To justify God's ways to man. (A. E. Housman)
    , edited January 25 2015 at 10:49AM
    Options
    Options

As I said... you're the expert! 8)

ASWhisky liked that
  • Godslayer
    Topic creator
    Member Godslayer
    Options

I'm looking at the 2012 edition which you would most likely score a 90 going by trends. That being said the price is pretty good at under $250. I suppose going by those scores talisker must be running out of older stock :frown: