Greeting from Belgium

• RubenV
    Topic creator

Hello,
    I'm Ruben and i lived all my live in Belgium.
    Since the beginning of this year i have discovered that i'm into tasting whiskey when i did my first sip on NYE.
    Today i've been watching Horst's video's of how proper tasting is done .
    This inspired my to follow what he said and get a new perspective about getting the best out of the whiskey.
    Soon i am going to add a few bottles to start my own collection, the idea is to start with good quality and not to expensive bottles.
    I could use some advice from people on the forum here (people who nnow what they're talking about).
    So any tips are more than welcome !
    I appologize for the poor Englsih , it is not my main language and there can be some faults in what i've typed.

Have a nice weekend to you all ,

Ruben

Young with no experience for whisky , Isee it as Having an advantage for lots of years to learn .
  • SanctTom Member SanctTom Joined: 19.07.2014Posts: 176Ratings: 0
    Options

Hello and welcome to the forum!
    I wish you lots of fun on your whisky journey - to get some advice you might want to clarify your question...:wink:

And malt does more than Milton can To justify God's ways to man. (A. E. Housman)
  • andyb01 Member andyb01 Joined: 21.08.2015Posts: 65Collectionandyb01s CollectionRatings: 0
    Options

welcome to the forum

• kroman Member Joined: 16.04.2016Posts: 261Collectionkromans CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

Welcome!

There are lots of places to start when you are trying to introduce yourself to scotch. I think it would be a good video for Horst/Ben to do: Best whiskies for a scotch newbie.

You will have a lot of opinions on what scotches are good for those new to whisky AND on a budget. These are a few that I would recommend

1) Glenmorangie Original: In my opinion, it's a great introduction to "regular" scotch. It is not very complex, but makes for a perfectly good glass, especially for the newcomer like you.

2) Aberlour 12 or Glenmorangie Lasanta. These are affordable whiskies that have influence from sherry (a Spanish fortified wine), which is common in a lot of scotches.

3) Lagavulin 16...Don't buy this bottle before you try it first at a bar or from a friend. This is a heavily peated whisky that can be very intense. Some people don't like them...other people LOVE them. If you like it, then by all means buy a bottle!

4) Highland Park 12 year. This is a great introduction scotch that has it all: The bourbon, a little sherry, and just a tiny bit of the peat smoke that you'll find in the Lagavulin 16 year.

Having these four scotches in your cabinet would be a great start and has a little something for every kind of scotch fan!

Also, take a look at the information page...you'll find a great amount of information (of course :roll:smile: to help you on your journey!

• horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

There will be more videos around whisky in the upcoming cold season. I did not took too many in the beginning of my new YouTube channel, because early videos are most often 'forgotten' by YouTube. Now that the channel has got some speed it makes sense to add another set of videos around whisky without sampling them. It is quite tricky to grow a channel the right way.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
  • RubenV
    Topic creator
    , edited September 23 2016 at 6:18PM
    Options

Thank you kroman for the exact information i was hoping for .
    I have bought myself the lagavulin and the glenmorangie .
    The glenmorangie original is very nice and i'm very happy to have bought it , the flavours suprised me.
    lagavulin i aprieciate , i like it after a few try's .

I will give it a shot for the other bottles you proposed .

Young with no experience for whisky , Isee it as Having an advantage for lots of years to learn .