Looking for a single malt with sweet sherry & peat influence

• markysparky
    Topic creator
    Member markysparky

hi there
    i am pretty new to the wonderful world of whisky
    what whisky would you suggest that has both a sherry and peat influence??like a smoky peaty sherry taste- thanks-mark breytenbach?

mark breytenbach
  • [Deleted User] Joined: 26.08.2016Posts: 0CollectionEmpty Bottle ClubRatings: 160
    , edited September 21 2016 at 3:05PM
    Options

If you like heavy peat, you couldn't go wrong with Lagavulin Distillers Edition. If you don't like heavy peat, Benromach 10 Year Old shows some noticeable (but not overly strong) peat and sherry notes, and the price is quite reasonable. I would also throw Springbank 15 Year Old into the mix; it has a medium peat level and is 100% sherry cask matured.

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets. (Ron Swanson)
  • kroman Member Joined: 16.04.2016Posts: 261Collectionkromans CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

Although I haven't had it yet, the first thing that popped in my head was the Bowmore 15 yr. Darkest. Bowmore is a classic distillery from Islay (known for their peat), and their 15 yr is pretty well sherried. It might be worth a try, if you can look past a whisky that calls itself "Darkest" even though it's colored :rolleyes:

• SuperDrams Member Joined: 20.11.2015Posts: 12Ratings: 30
    Options

Talisker Distiller's Edition is worth a mention. I thoroughly enjoyed the bottle I had. They finish these in Oloroso Sherry Casks.

No logo on the foam!
  • markysparky
    Topic creator
    Member markysparky
    Options

Thank you kinds Sirs

my mouth is watering just reading the reviews and tasting notes on whiskyexchange.com

will get a bottle of each and have a dram or three when getting off this offshore installation soon

Salute
    :biggrin::smile:

mark breytenbach