Worm tubs in whisky production

• Comradegeneral
    Topic creator

Hi Whisky lovers,

I have a couple of questions around worm tubs that I hope you can help me with:

What is the consensus on the influence of the use of worm tubs in the production of whisky when it comes to smell, taste and texture of the end product?

Also, which distilleries use them still?
    I know of Mortlach and Talisker, any others out there?

Thanks in advance.

• ben_2 Guest, Administrator ben_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 271Collectionbens CollectionRatings: 92
    Options

Ohhh. That's a really tough question.

So let's tackle this rational. A condenser is made like a heat-exchanger. Large surface area. This leads to a short distance the vapor has to travel. The vapour and the spirit are cooled down in a short amount of time.
    The worm tub on the other hand has a tube with a rather big diameter and smaller surface area. Therefore the tube has to be very long to get the same amount of exposure to the cold of the process water.

So what does that lead you to. No amount of the condensated vapour ends up in the original pot again. It all goes to the spirit safe, no matter the method of cooling. So I would say, there is no difference. This statement assumes that that the condensers are both made of the same material.

I know Springbank uses a wormtub in the spirit still.
    forward to 8:55

I work for whisky.com
  • toddstevens4 Member Joined: 14.04.2016Posts: 23Collectiontoddstevens4s CollectionRatings: 4
    Options

Good Friend,
    Craigellachie Distillery proudly uses worm tubs for their single malt production. Their 13 year old SMW is an amazingly priced craft offering (no color or chill-filtration) with a very interesting flavor and aroma. Sort of the type of malt that divides a room of malt anoraks, but definitely worth trying.
    Slainte!
    Todd Stevens

Todd Stevens