, edited July 14 2016 at 11:35AM

Anyone knows about teaspooned malts?

Hong Fu Teo
  • horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

Sorry - keep my ears open.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
    teohongfu liked that
  • oldnavy Member oldnavy Joined: 01.08.2015Posts: 22CollectionThe chief's stashRatings: 0
    Options

Teaspooning occurs when an independent bottler buys a cask from a distillery,
    and the Distillery does not want their name used. So a single teaspoon of another malt is added to the Cask so by law it can no longer be called a Single malt from that Distiller.
    the Independent Bottler then puts their name on the bottles.

hwchoyQuin2 liked that
  • horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

Teaspooning appeared most often at Wm. Grant & Sons (Glenfiddich, Balvenie, Kininvie).

I heard the first time of Teaspooning when I visited the Glenglassaugh distillery during the time when it was closed. Oly warehousing for other companies took place. That was roughly around 1995. We saw a lot of casks from Wm Grant which were matured for the Grant's Blends.

There was a struggle around an independent bottler which managed to get a cask of Kininvie with 1% of other malt in it. When they sold it they did not write the name on the bottle but they told it everybody. We heared that Wm Grant wasn't amused.

There had also been some teaspooned Springbanks around.

I do not know of any other distillery doing this.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
  • Lynton_North Member Lynton_North Joined: 21.07.2017Posts: 1CollectionLynton_Norths CollectionRatings: 0
    Options

@horst_s There is quite a consensus that Westport is a teaspooned Glenmorangie. I keep looking at a 17 y/o Carn Mor from Morrison & Mackay bottlers. But the name Westport is used by other bottlers too.